Meet the British

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 7.54am
I caught this show last night on BBC4:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00kv0d0/Meet_the_British/

It's made up of snippets from a series of films made by the British government during the 1940s to 1980s to promote Britain overseas. It's going to be shown again tonight at 10 pm, I think.

It was fascinating and funny, but also rather sad, to watch. So much of the British culture shown has vanished. Of course, they're propaganda films, so they may not have been that true even at the time, but they do show Britain in the way I perceived it as an American growing up, in all its tradition, eccentricity, decency, and sense of fair play.
Wednesday 3 June 2009 11.54am
Just watched a little bit. Looks very interesting.

'The people enter the bus in a orderly manner, no crowding or pushing out of turn, and the conductor controls everything in a cheerful way.'
Thursday 4 June 2009 11.55pm
Thanks for the heads up re this programme.
I recorded it and watched it Thursday evening.
The biggest eyebrow raising segment for me was how the police were portrayed in what looked like the sixties.
Everybody's friend and servant, there to help the public, from dabbing a little girl's grazed knee with a clean hankerchief, (guaranteed to get you on the sex offenders register today), to helping old folks fill in pension application forms!
When the two "African students" approached the friendly bobby for directions I thought for a moment it was going to degenerate into the old Not The Nine o/clock News sketch where Mel Smith arrested black people for walking on the cracks in the pavement!
Zoe
Friday 5 June 2009 2.18pm
beetroot wrote:
'The people enter the bus in a orderly manner, no crowding or pushing out of turn, and the conductor controls everything in a cheerful way.'

They still do that in the north, and thank the busdriver when they get off, it took me a long time not to do it in London...
Saturday 6 June 2009 11.13am
Zoe wrote:
beetroot wrote:

They still do that in the north, and thank the busdriver when they get off, it took me a long time not to do it in London...

I know, Zoe. I'm from Cheshire. My sister still can't believe it here. She finds it hysterically funny.
Saturday 6 June 2009 3.03pm
Well, I always DO say thank you to the bus driver,so there. But then I'm an old crone.
Zoe
Saturday 6 June 2009 3.10pm
...but they do look at you funny don't they!! It's hard when you're getting off in the middle of the bus, shouting up the bus at the driver, I still do it sometimes, but I can tell everyone thinks I'm quite odd.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: