Doesn't time fly

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 4.25pm
1st September already.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 5.39pm
It certainly does - and one of those shopping channels had a special Xmas sale last week, oh yes - singing Santas, musical light up trees and all that tat. Haven't seen any Easter eggs yet so it's not New Year.
Tuesday 1 September 2009 11.37pm
We bought some really nice Christmas Cake decorations from a cake making/decorating shop in Oxford's covered market today. Should make for a jolly cake.

Now when should I start baking?
Friday 4 September 2009 6.49am
Isn't it 'the earlier the better'?

As much as I love England, Marmite, A Good Cuppa, Bubbles and Squeak and Spotted Dick, not to mention the Royal Oak's Trifle, I have never been able to appreciate the Christmas Cake: a hard, rocky brick drenched in Rum....if I were English, I'd hop over to France for puds (or The Royal Oak...)
Friday 4 September 2009 8.52am
Aw ...Maurits. Christmas cake, with thick marzipan and then heavy white icing, ..mmmmmmmmmm.
Friday 4 September 2009 9.11am
Sorry Jackie - I'm with Maurits on this one. The Royal Oak's Trifle wins this one hands donwn!
Saturday 5 September 2009 7.21am
Are we talking Christmas CAKE or Christmas PUDDING? The latter is also a culinary triumph IMHO, squishy and sweet and sticks to the roof of your mouth, not to be confused with cake which is like delicious lead in the stomach.
Monday 7 September 2009 6.09pm
Oh, I meant the Pudding, I suppose. What exactly is the cake? Anyway, not knowing the difference is probably very telling about my General Christmas Knowledge: below par.
Monday 7 September 2009 6.23pm

Cake

Pud

Xmas cake and xmas pud were both invented in 1958 as instruments of torture for misbehaving children during Xmas.

The brats would be forced to consume a slice/bowl full after lunch, just before the Queen came on - the food had to be consumed before the start of the James Bond film else they got thrashed too. Bloody right.
Monday 7 September 2009 10.21pm
Isn't Christmas Pudding soaked in Brandy / Sherry / Port / ...?
Very clever way of making sure your kids are relaxed and fast asleep so you can enjoy the rest of Christmas day.....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: