Sick Pound

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 4 September 2009 11.58am
Just out of curiosity, has the dramatic weakening of sterling over the past twelve months or more influenced anyone's travel plans?
The last time that I was in the Eurozone the rate was approx. €1.42 to 1.00, now it hovers around €1.09 - €1.12 to 1.00.
That is way too much of a drop for me, as far as I am concerned the Eurozone is out for the foreseeable future.
I remember in the dim and distant past when you could go to Spain one year and get 250 pesetas to the the pound, go seven or eight months later and it might have reduced to 215 - 220, the following year it could be back around 245.
Those levels of fluctuations you could handle, you still had good weather and a vodka and tonic was still way cheaper than back home.
Earlier this year I went to South Africa for three weeks, granted a longer flight and more expensive air fare, but the Rand exchange rate was very favourable and I had a wonderful time and even got to stroke a cheetah!
I am now toying with destinations like Uruguay or Paraguay, once again a long flight but a lot of bang for your buck when you are there.
Brazil would be closer than Uruguay but I can hack it in Spanish whereas Portuguese I can't get my head around.
Friday 4 September 2009 3.00pm
I'm still trying to find out how much 17.00 would be worth today ( 17.00 holiday pay in 1965!)
Friday 4 September 2009 3.14pm
Ah well, that's easy - using this calculator your 1965 17 is worth...

In 2008, 17 0s 0d from 1965 is worth
246.37 using the retail price index.
512.39 using average earnings.
Friday 4 September 2009 3.52pm
you are so clever you lot on 'ere...thank you, i wonder what i spent that fabulous sum of money on!
Saturday 5 September 2009 7.17am
What an amazing tool! I have put it in my favourites!!
Monday 7 September 2009 9.34am
I'm no economist, but on the other side the Euro/Sterling exchange rate must be doing some good for our tourist industry and boy, do we need some money to roll in to this country! My first foreign holiday was in 1966. Two weeks in Majorca with three mates. We'd only won the world cup a month before and so as English lads we could do no wrong. (Better not go any further down that route.) I can't remember how much the actual holiday cost, but we went out every night and had three or four excursuions to all the usual touristy things.I took twenty five quid in spending money and came back with change. (Five quid if I remember rightly.) A Bacardi and Coke, (the new craze in drinks, very trendy back then,)was the equivelelnt in pesetas of one shilling and sixpence. (7 1/2p in today's dosh.)They didn't have optics either, they just poured it straight from the bottle, so you ended up with nearly half a glass of Bacardi and had to keep topping it up with Coke. No tube to Heathrow in those days of course, so we had to get accross to 'West London Air Terminal' and get a coach to 'London Airport' as it was simply known back then. It's easy to lose perspective when looking back, but that twenty five quid spending money was two week's wages! Reading Boss St. Blokes figures rather shatters The Rose tinted glasses!
Monday 7 September 2009 10.38am
The Jacs have just come back from a late booked holiday. It was a toss up between Crete and Icmeler, Turkey at the same price and Icmeler won because of the euro exchange rate. It was a good move as four of us got by on less than 85 a day and that included eating out every night and 4 excursions. Even two years ago in Greece we had to limit the amount of soft drinks/icecreams etc the teen jacs consumed to keep with in a budget of 100 max a day, so I think this year it would have been impossible. That said from my limited experience I think I prefer the Greek isalnds to Turkey which even being in a smaller resort was massively over developed.
Monday 7 September 2009 1.11pm
Agree completely about Eurozone now being hideously expensive. It make me think that my next holiday will be in the UK.
Monday 7 September 2009 10.28pm
longlaner wrote:
Agree completely about Eurozone now being hideously expensive. It make me think that my next holiday will be in the UK.

I had this idea as well, and rather than spending summer nights out in Venice, Barcelona or other places on the continent, I enjoyed stunning nature in Wales and Scotland, whisky instead of red wine, haggis instead of vittello tonnato ... and loads of rain.....
did not find it extremely cheap though - it might have worked better if I had stayed in B&B's with a shared bath (but in that case I might have spent the money on whisky........)
Monday 7 September 2009 10.54pm
longlaner wrote:

To each his own, one man's meat and all that, but if I were unable to take my vacations outside of this country then I'd stay in London, perhaps wander around the alleys and courtyards of the City, take the Jubilee to St. John's Wood and amble back down Park Rd. then zig- zag either side of Baker St. for coffee and a sandwich, or a glass of wine and a Greek salad before getting back on the Jubilee at Bond St.
I'd stick needles in my eyes before I'd consider a week/two weeks or even a w/end anywhere in this country.
Please don't waste your time by telling me of the beauty of Scotland, Cornwall, the Lake or Peak Districts, etc. I have worked all over the country and I didn't mind that, I was getting paid for it, but there is no way I'd pay to visit any of it for a holiday.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: