e-mail scams

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 10 September 2009 3.06pm
I've had internet now for about twelve years and not had a single scam until a few weeks ago. Now I get 2 or 3 a day every day. Most of them are as subtle as a kick in the groin and wouldn't dupe the average village idiot. (E.G., someone with an exotic sounding name who needs to get money to his brother in England urgently and asking me to give my bank details and then, after taking ten per cent for my trouble, pass the moeny on to the brother.) If this was genuine and I did help then I'd probably be banged up for money laundering, but of course it's not. They don't want to pay money in to my account, just take everything out! Most recently though I've had a couple that looked more genuine. One was from 'Egg' saying that they had frozen my card because of suspected fraudulent activity and in order to re-activate it I had to give all my personal details. It was very plausable except for one thing..... I don't have an 'Egg' card!
One I received today was even more realistic in appearance and was supposed to be from the Inland Revenue informing me of a tax rebate following receipt of my latest tax return. It even quoted a reference number and security warnings about confidetiality etc. Only after reading it for a third time did I notice that the suffix on the e-mail address was 'co.uk' and not 'gov.u.k' and this raised my suspicions. I spoke to the Inland Rev and they confirmed it is a scam.
Thursday 10 September 2009 3.42pm
You shouldn't even be opening these things...delete them straight away. Some of them will have emebedded viruses/trojans/worms etc which may infect your pc when you do open up the messages. Scams are 1 thing but infections are very common too. Be careful.
Thursday 10 September 2009 3.55pm
There is no way to embed a virus in an email message, only in an attachment or in linked items. Ignorance hurts.
Thursday 10 September 2009 4.29pm
indeed....sorry i should have been more detailed.
Thursday 10 September 2009 6.15pm
Just been advised of another scam, this time via telephone. Is it the scam season or something?
Apparantly some guy is passing himself off as a BT person and saying that there is an unpaid sum on the account. It is usually a relatively modest sum, but unless it is settled there and then over the phone by card the line will be cut off and will cost 118 to re-connect it. If suspicions are arroused he actually does disconnect the phone and then re-connect it a few minutes later to convince you that he is indeed BT. Most of these things turn out to be myths, but I would sooner pass on twenty myths at a cost of no more than the time it takes you to read them, than have any one of you caught out.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 8.45am
The only reason I can think of, (see my earlier posting at the top of this page,) is to obtain your bank details. Then, instead of putting money in to your account, they take everything out of it. Don't fall for any of it.
Tuesday 22 September 2009 11.31am
chalkey wrote:
Most of these things turn out to be myths, but I would sooner pass on twenty myths at a cost of no more than the time it takes you to read them, than have any one of you caught out.

There is an alternative, Chalkey. Even Henny Penny now uses Snopes nowadays http://www.snopes.com/fraud/fraud.asp

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 4.11pm
If the initiator of the phone call doesn't hang up, the line is still connected, the scammer can put the phone on mute, and it would appear to the phone owner that his line has been cut off, as no dial tone when he picks up. several minutes later the scammer will put the phone down, and ring straight back - telling the customer that they did cut off the line, and it's now back up so that they can get details.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: