How English

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 12 September 2009 1.34am
Friday, 11th September around 8pm on the tube:

I am on my way home from South Kensington. The train stops just before Victoria, motor is switched off, I feel faintly alarmed. Passengers are huffing and puffing and saying “now what” and “huh, typical”. We can see the platform being evacuated and are not informed why. We then get told to walk down the train using the connecting doors. (Tannoy: “Can all passengers please evacuate the station without delay”) Now I am really worried. Sinister looking policeman in black uniforms enter and we all walk through the connecting doors until we reach the station, leave the train and find ourselves on the very crowded streets, everybody is in good humour having calmly left the train and station.

In any other country this would have resulted in a stampede. Everybody would have been hysterical. How very English, if I had not known already why chose to come here of all places, I'd know now.
Saturday 12 September 2009 9.02am
Good to hear you are safe Katia. Glad you moved here - you brighten up our lives too!
Saturday 12 September 2009 4.04pm
Saturday 12 September 2009 5.41pm
Thank you, BSB, I did actually know this is a good place to live, lots of good company.

I have no idea what happened, Jackie. I took my lead from the other passengers who were just marvellously calm and disciplined. We were not told what was wrong and nobody seemed to ask, so I didn't either. I suppose a suspect package or a person under the train. (DO they evacuate whole stations for that sort of thing?)
Sunday 13 September 2009 7.47pm
Nice story, Katia and I fully agree with you.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: