brambles etc.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Wednesday 16 September 2009 9.58am
Having been out for the tenth time this year trying to rid my garden of the jungle of weeds that overtaken my garden, I have already used a standard weed-killer ( resolve) that was supposed to kill brambles, i think the wrong stuff must be inside and in reality its fertiliser!

The chinese lanterns are everywhere, I have now seen a new product called Bramble killer , before i waste any more money what time of the year is best to apply this type of thing?
Wednesday 16 September 2009 10.30am
If they're still alive and kicking, Jan, then any time is a good time. Get rid of them now and hopefully you'll be weed-free next spring and onwards. You need a systematic weedkiller with things like brambles,that will kill the roots, not anything like 'Weedol' for instance that just kills the foliage. 'Round-up' is as good as anything. I'm probabaly preaching to the converted, but use with care and always read the enclosed leaflets on any of this type of product, as they can be quite toxic. And don't let any of it drift on to your flowers or shrubs, or it will be goodnight Vienna!
Wednesday 16 September 2009 11.01am
Flowers ? Shrubs? Many moons ago a neighbour who had a wonderful garden asked me what i was doing putting in chinese'll be sorry she warned and by 'eck she ws right...I read about BRAMBLE killer on some sites, but even b and q are sold out..perhaps there is a plague of brambles...I'll be out there again tonight! :-)
Wednesday 16 September 2009 12.32pm
Off topic I know, just wanted to say that Chinese Lanterns have the more poetic name "Amour en cage" meaning "Love in a cage" in French. My mum loves them and cuts them as Christmas decoration. Sometimes she even spray them with a gold paint.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 2.05pm
They are lovely connie, thats what made me plant them...they should be treated like mint in a a bucket! I have dug them out so many times and still this morning i saw a couple of orange 'lanterns' shining....Love in a cage sounds so romantic..
Wednesday 16 September 2009 3.06pm
Learn't a lesson or two myself over the years where plants are concerned. The two that I will avoid like the plague in future are Red Valerian, (a.k.a. 'ground lilac,') and Russian Vine. When I moved house in 1992 I had a big garden to fill and bought some perennials at a country fair. One was a pot of Red Valerian. It spread like wildfire and every seed that it dropped germinated. I had a constant battle trying to stop it taking over my entire herbaceous border and even had the stuff sprouting out of my lawn. As for Russian Vine, it's a good plant for covering old, unsightly outhouses, but those of you in SE1 with gardens will have 'town gardens' and if you see one of these plants in a garden centre and think it would look nice growing up a trellis.....Don't go there! They don't nickname it 'mile-a-minute' for nothing. It will take over and choke everything else to death.
Wednesday 16 September 2009 3.29pm
Russian Vine? surely Chalkey you mean Rushing Vine as my daughter used to call it..I am sure one day the rotten thing grew 4". took me a year to realise i had done a stupid thing planting it to cover the chainlink fence! and another year to get rid!
Wednesday 16 September 2009 3.48pm
Russian Vine! When I was quite small we had it growing all over the back of our house. We went away on a summer holiday, probably for two weeks, and when we came back it had grown in through the bathroom window which must have been left ajar and was waving about all over the place.

I was petrified as my father had been reading Day of the Triffids to us while we were away...

It still makes me nervous!
Wednesday 16 September 2009 5.49pm
La M! You have so made me chuckle! I can just see that vine waving around in your bathroom. And you don't know how close I was in my last message to likening that stuff to 'Day of the Triffids!' I had it growing up a bower close to my flat-roof log store. Like you we went away on holiday and when we got back I found it had crept under the ashfelt roof of the log store, lifted it and split it.
Jan, I don't disbelieve for one minute that it grew 4" in a day.
Thursday 17 September 2009 12.06am
That's twice I've been reminded of John Wyndham on here recently. I kept thinking of The Midwich Cuckoos (filmed as Village of the Damned) reading the kids in restaurants thread.

Anyway be grateful you've got gardens you lot!
Le Martinet, how's the Diversity Garden these days?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: