Books for babies and for teenagers

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 17 September 2009 10.18pm
We are, like most families, in the process of building a children's library at home. Current readers are a nine year old boy and a nineteen months old girl. It includes a lot of my personal must-haves for toddlers like “We're going on a bear hunt” “Each peach pear plum” and “Goodnight, moon” as well as old favourites of mine for older kids by Erich Kaestner, Charles Dickens, Roald Dahl, Astrid Lindgren and many more.

I remember the beauty of Tom's Midnight Garden and the magic of Alice in Wonderland and my pride in my first ever encyclopaedia. What are your personal favourites?

Which books impressed you when you were young and which were those guilty secrets you were already much too old for but read and re-read anyway? I am trying to have books for any age group from baby to teen for them to grow into.
Friday 18 September 2009 7.47am
for toddlers the Gruffalo books are a great read my son loved them

for me the lion the witch and the wardrobe etc and i must admit i read every Dr Suess book there was
Friday 18 September 2009 10.22am
Bye Bye fly - by Colin Robinson was quite good, as was his other book about Swans (I forget the name)
[declaring an interest - he's my uncle]

Raging Robots and Unruly Uncles was one that I read in the (primary school) book club, and re read over and over.

Terry Pratchett has written several books aimed at youngsters.

I would suggest that they don't read Steven King at too early an age (I think 13 was too young for me).

Hungry Catapillar always a favourite, and The Mister Men books are great too.

I always find that books with well thought out distinct characters are good, so that the person doing the reading aloud can get into character and do accents and actions and get involved - the child listener will get more involved too.
Friday 18 September 2009 10.35am
you are so right on reading aloud Jon-my son loved the Gruffalo as when i read it the mouse became rather camp and the Gruffalo was rather thick sounding-he said it just wasn't the same when Daddy read it as he could not do the voices!
Tuesday 29 September 2009 11.58am
"Cidermaking on a small scale" (Pooley and Lomax), and "Craft cidermaking" (Andrew Lea) are both classics for any age.

(Oh, and I used to like TH White and Ursula le Guin for a bit of fantasy stuff)

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 29 September 2009 12.51pm
I used to have a book about a small spotted dog in the circus, but can't remember for the life of me what it was called. And I did like Goldilocks. I also liked adventures such as the five detectives by Enid Blyton. There are some pretty good Dutch children book writers, but obviously not really relevant in this case, and as far as I know none of them translated..

I've recently read for smaller children:
* The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child
* Room on the Broom (probably for 5 year olds)

and have just finished: The Legend of Spud Murphy by Eoin Colfer - age group around 8
Wednesday 30 September 2009 10.40am
And now you got me thinking! The other books I have read recently and which are in the age group of aroun 12 (bit of a late bloomer, me) and I really enjoyed are:

* Tunnels
* Deeper
Both by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams

Phillip Pulman's His Dark Materials. Did not like the Northern Lights film, but loved the books.
Friday 2 October 2009 1.27pm
I only read Enid Blyton in my thirties, so I am a late bloomer, too. Thanks for your suggestions so far. I have recently added "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly" - what a strange book!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: