courtesy on the road.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 10.19am
This one's been brewing for a while, so let me put my 'Victor Meldrew' cap on and go for it!
The Government scheme, allowing a 2000 trade in on an old car for a new one in order to get the car industry back on it's feet, is a good idea. (If you can afford a brand new car to begin with.) Another idea would be to make new cars a little more affordable by manufacturing them without indicators. Fewer and fewer people are using them these days and they are becoming more and more superfluous. I know the saving won't be that significant but, as the lady said when she pee'd in the sea, "Every little helps." I know I'm an old dynosaur who learned to drive when there was such a thing as courtesy to fellow road users, (whether on four wheels, two wheels or on foot,) but none of us are mind readers and it's useful to know what other peoples intentions are. When walking my dog this morning I stopped at the kerb in a side street. A car was coming towards me on the busier road to my left and, as he wasn't signalling, it should have been reasonable to assume that he was carrying straight on. But I heard his revs change and luckilly didn't step out as he simply swung left into the road I was about to cross. A little earlier I'd driven my wife to the station and the car in front negotiated two right hand turnings, a left hand turning and then turned right at the traffic lights. All without signalling. On the way back from the station there was a car coming towards me on a narrow road with several vehicles parked on either side. I flashed him to proceed and partly pulled in to a space on my left. I sat there with my right indicator flashing so that no one would overtake me and end up face to face with the oncoming car, (which has happened before,) then, without signalling or even acknowledging my gesture, he turned right in to the turning a hundred yards or so ahead of me. Nice.
I hasten to add that it's not purley a younger generation thing, although they do seem to hold the majority. But this trait is certainly proving contageous. It's not hard work flicking on an indicator, so let's all try to make our roads a little safer and live a little longer.
(There, I feel better now.)
Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.07pm
I have to say that I agree with some of what you say - there are several people who assume that you know where they are going.
However, there are still a lot of us about who do signal at every single opportunity, to ensure that other road users around us are aware of our intentions.

If you decide that you'll only indicate if there are other people about, then you get into the habit of not signalling, and you might not spot someone, and not signal, and cause an accident.
If you always signal, you reduce that risk.

The car scrappage scheme has increased the sale of new cars, but it has also reduced the number of cars over 10 years old, on the streets - a good thing safety wise, but bad thing for first time car buyers, who can't now get an old metro or mini for 300, and a bad thing for anyone buying second hand, as demand has outstripped supply, and second hand car prices have soared over the past 12 months.
Wednesday 30 September 2009 3.13pm
See I reckon that there is a tax on indicating and only few people are willing to pay it..... When I learned to drive I had it rammed into my head that you always indicate unless when moving into a slow lane on the motorway (as you are supposed to move into the slow(er) lane after overtaking, although i am not sure anyone here has heard of that rule....)

I do agree though it would make life soooo much easier and safer

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: