National Pride

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 7 October 2009 9.52pm
http://www.kidstube.com/play.php?vid=1910

Love 'em or loathe'em, watching this clip leaves you in no doubt how much pride the Americans have in their flag and country, a stirring anthem goes a long way, at a parade in Paris a couple of years back to commemorate the end of WW2 I welled up just listening to hundreds of Parisians singing La Marseillaise, you would have to be made of stone to remain unmoved when you hear the band strike up and hundreds of voices begin to sing allons enfants de la patrie, le jour de gloire est arrivé. unfortunately the same cannot be said of the dirge that we have.
Thursday 8 October 2009 9.10am
I couldn't agree more, Tom. No one is more patriotic than me. What's more I'm a Royalist and I don't care who knows it! But our National Anthem really should be changed. It IS a durge. There are so many good tunes out there, all uplifting and with strong connections with this country. 'Land of Hope and Glory!' 'I bow to thee my Country,' and, despite the name, 'Jerusalem.' I can remember a prize giving day at primary school when a French was hero, who was a friend of our headmaster, gave out the prizes. A few weeks prior to that we learned the French National Anthem and sang it in his honour on the day. We all belted it out with gusto!
I'm sure some of you out there will have your own favourites. Let's hear them!
Thursday 8 October 2009 10.36pm
While Jerusalem would make a fine English anthem, I don't really think it would be a good British one. It is rather specific about where those feet might have walked.

I'd be content with the Internationale - particularly the Bragg translation. Very stirring.

BTW National Pride - does it taste better than London Pride?
Friday 9 October 2009 8.27am
You're right, Phil. I didn't think that one through properly. I've just gone through the words in my head and it is very 'England.'
'Rule Britania' would be a bit too imperialistic for this day and age, but if somoene could come up with some lyrics for some of the other Elgar clasics, or Walton etc., we could have a stirring National Anthem that we could all enjoy singing. I wonder what a referendum result on this subject would be.
Friday 9 October 2009 8.54am
I'm guessing a referendum on this would come out as either Undecided or the tune from East Enders.....
Friday 9 October 2009 10.49am
OMG, Tattie! Anything but the Eastenders theme! In the twenty five or so years it's been running I don't think I've witnessed one happy ending! Please God this country isn't going the same way!
Friday 9 October 2009 10.53am
As Billy Connolly once observed, the Archers theme tune would make a cracking national anthem. Can't you just see our team marching along to it at the Olympics!
Friday 9 October 2009 12.11pm
With scythes and pitchforks over their shoulders! We'd knock 'em dead in the synchronised farming!!
Friday 9 October 2009 1.19pm
La Martinet wrote:
As Billy Connolly once observed, the Archers theme tune would make a cracking national anthem.

But The Archers' theme tune IS the national anthem.

Isn't it?

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 8.09pm
Bill Bailey proposed a jazz reworking of the pink panther theme tune for our national anthem. How cool would that be to walk out to?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: