Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 25 October 2009 9.10am
So 'British Summer Time' is now officially over and the clocks went back last night. However, the myth of the 'extra hour in bed' was once more blown out of the water. Some time ago I reached the age whereby I am ruled by my body clock, not the one on the mantlepiece. I can now understand why my grandfather never needed an alarm clock to wake him up for work in the mornings.
Sunday 25 October 2009 11.34am
My Grandfather's Clock was too tall for the shelf
So it stood ninety years on the floor
It was taller by half than the old man himself
But it weighed not a pennyweight more

It was bought on the morn on the day that he was born
It was always his treasure and pride
But it stopped, short, never to go again
When the old man died

Ninety years without slumbering
Tic toc tic toc
His life's seconds numbering
Tic toc tic toc
It stopped, short, never to go again
When the old man died.
Sunday 25 October 2009 2.12pm
Blimey, Phoney. It's a while since I heard that one!
Sunday 25 October 2009 7.35pm
When we went to my grandparents house years ago we'd have to suffer a couple of hours round the piano singing such ditties as:
Grandfathers Clock
Silver Threads Amongst the Gold (Bring a tear to a glass eye)
Come Into the Garden Maud
The Old Rustic Bridge by the Mill

I can still remember the words.
Sunday 25 October 2009 8.47pm
Oh dear, Phoney. Now you've started me off.I remember when I was a kid my grandmother, a typical old cockney, had a pencchant for the odd glass of Guinness on a Saturday night. After several of these she would burst in to song. They started off in upbeat fashion with golden oldies such as, 'My old man's a dustman,' 'See them shuffle along,' etc. etc.
Then, after a few more glasses, the melancholy would kick in and she would get a tear in her eye and sing what is probably the most depressing song ever penned by man: 'When I leave the world behind.' (I leave the sunshine to the flowers, the songbirds to the blind etc.) By the time she'd finished the whole room full of equally inebriated relatives would be in tears along with her. Happy days!
Monday 26 October 2009 8.33am
Siiiilver freds amongst the gold...See them shuffle along, ohh see them shuffle along...when my old wedding ring was new all my dream... Under neath the arches on cobblestones I lay, underneath the arches I dreamed my dreams away...and crikey what was the other my old man used to sing..I toddles on with my old cock linnet, I dallied and dillied..something about I cant find my way 'ome!

and something about throwing the baby out with the bathwater?
Monday 26 October 2009 9.41am
Jan, That one was called 'My old man said follow the van.' It was one of the famous music hall star Marie Lloyds classics. It was about a couple moving home and I think the whole song went like this:

'My old man said follow the van and don't dilly dally on the way. Off went the van with me home packed in it, I followed on with my old cock linnet. I dillied and dallied, dalleid and dillied, lost me way and din't know where to roam. You can't trust a special like the old time copper when you cant find your way home.'

I thank you!
Monday 26 October 2009 3.54pm
Thanks for that Chalkey, I had the weirdest feeling reading those words, instantly transported back in time I could hear the ghostly voices of my Mum and Aunts singing..she could never afford the pub , unlike my Father! a few bottles of brown ale once a week was her treat if she was lucky..
Wednesday 28 October 2009 4.07pm
I grew up in the Lake District (Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth and all that malarkey).

What we're having down here in London is in no way winter!!! It's amazing how much difference a few hundred miles can make. My parents called yesterday to say that it hadn't stopped throwing it down back there for two weeks. My Dad is taking a typically balanced view of things, and has described the area as "looking like a bloody blasted heath."

I remember frosts lasting until about 2pm and snow up until March (the damn daffodils still came through that year though).

Never spent a winter in London before (my first time living here). Does it get that cold here? Please say no.
Wednesday 28 October 2009 4.44pm
never too cold in london, simply a brisk chill in the air is about it.
I purchased a big winter coat when i moved here, never used it because it never gets cold enough.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: