Former SE1 forum contributor hits the news

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 30 October 2009 3.30pm
Long-term followers of this forum will remember Niall Connolly:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/oct/30/councillors-resign-en-masse-blogger/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 30 October 2009 3.37pm
Well, I certainly do: he used to live just off Bermondsey Street. He knew a lot about the history of the neighborhood.
Saturday 31 October 2009 10.41am
Yo ho HO! My goodness, Niall cut his teeth on our forum and is now on to bigger and better things it seems!
Wednesday 4 November 2009 9.50pm
Hello all you SE1ers. Life down here in the provinces is certainly a bit more exciting than in Tanner St. We never had cars torched in front of the house or windows smashed at 2:00am. I also didn't have thugs sent after me after Council meetings. Have any of you ever seen Straw Dogs or Deliverance? Well Somerton is a mix of both. On the surface its very conservative (large and small 'C') but underneath there is a rich vein of inbred rednecks who think that the law just doesn't apply to them. They make Acorn Homes look like a birthday party.

Follow the story at www.muckandbrass.blogspot.com and Jackie, the SE1 Forum never prepared me for the crap I've taken down here in the last 18 months. I don't regret leaving Tanner St but its been a close run thing at times.

You can also follow the development of a 'toolkit for change' at www.toolkitforchange.blogspot.com

Love to everyone from the 'hood including and especially the Bermondsey Dog Network. I miss you all.

Love and best.

Niall
Thursday 12 November 2009 10.51pm
Niall,

More power to your elbow and all that, but isn't it quite a long walk home from the opera house?

Phil
Zoe
Sunday 15 November 2009 10.10pm
I'm quite disappointed that LBS is less of a pain than some tiny parish council. Are they just soft in that part of the world and aren't used to critisism? I suddenly feel more respect for our councillors, people are vile to them and they just keep going.
Monday 11 January 2010 9.22pm
Absolutely Phil, but things can change, maybe they'll build an opera house in Somerton.

Niall
Monday 11 January 2010 9.32pm
Zoe
LBS was a cake-walk compared to sunny old Somerton. The difference between LBS was that the councillors were a lot more professional that the old guard who walked away from Somerton Town Council. The average age of councillors in LBS was also significantly lower than down here in Zimmerland.

As I said before, over the years I brushed up against some seriously dodgy people in Southwark but I never faced the sort of violent intimidation that I've faced in Somerton. You got pretty close when you suggested that down in Somerton, the old guard couldn't face critisism. They'd had it all their own way for years and someone had the gall to question their authority.

The Office of the Information Commissioner ruled against Somerton Town Council on 17th December with regard to releasing public documents and I am informed that another decision notice going against them will be issued tomorrow. The old guard really took offence at my asking to see public documents because they described the dodgy dealings inside the Town Council. So far its 2-0 to the Democrats and I'm hoping that the redneck thugs don't take it out on my windows again.

Love and best to all.

Niall

PS Have a look at Sam Peckinpah's 'Straw Dogs' and then have a look at John Boorman's 'Deliverance'. Mix the two and you'll get a flavour of TA11.
Monday 11 January 2010 9.33pm
Zoe
LBS was a cake-walk compared to sunny old Somerton. The difference between LBS was that the councillors were a lot more professional that the old guard who walked away from Somerton Town Council. The average age of councillors in LBS was also significantly lower than down here in Zimmerland.

As I said before, over the years I brushed up against some seriously dodgy people in Southwark but I never faced the sort of violent intimidation that I've faced in Somerton. You got pretty close when you suggested that down in Somerton, the old guard couldn't face critisism. They'd had it all their own way for years and then someone (me) had the gall to question their authority.

The Office of the Information Commissioner ruled against Somerton Town Council on 17th December with regard to releasing public documents and I am informed that another decision notice going against them will be issued tomorrow. The old guard really took offence at my asking to see public documents because they described the dodgy dealings inside the Town Council. So far its 2-0 to the Democrats and I'm hoping that the redneck thugs don't take it out on my windows again.

Love and best to all.

Niall

PS Have a look at Sam Peckinpah's 'Straw Dogs' and then have a look at John Boorman's 'Deliverance'. Mix the two and you'll get a flavour of TA11.
Tuesday 12 January 2010 8.01am
Deliverance was the scariest movie I ever saw, so it must be truly creepy down in Somerton...come back, Niall, all is forgiven!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: