Swop something for a Tracy Emin

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 November 2009 12.15pm
Saw this in wednesdays ES. It appears you can view the art on Fri/Sat/Sun and then offer to swap something - except money - for whatever you fancy and hope your offer is accepted. I think you have to guess who actually made each piece of art something like those postcard auctions.
http://www.artbarterlondon.co.uk/
Thursday 26 November 2009 5.12pm
Like the thought
Thursday 26 November 2009 5.53pm
When I lived in Lincolnshire there was a shop called 'The Dress Exchange,' which my wife discovered by accident and then became addicted to. As the name implies, it's dress shop where you can take a dress of your won that you no longer want, and exchange it for one that you like. You then either pay the extra, or get a dress AND change! I thought it a very clever and inovative concept at the time and I'm sure the idea could lend itself to other non-perishable commodities. Any ideas? Perhaps we could make our fortunes!
Thursday 26 November 2009 8.11pm
Good idea chalkey. Maybe take the large empty unit in Empire Sq. and call it the SE1xchange. It's been empty long enough. No rubbish but people could bring in quality items and leave them, and the proprietor would upload a photo on to the SE1xchange website where people could browse from home and make an exchange offer. After an agreed exchange you would go to the xchange to pick up your item. But what of running costs? And would the Empire Sq residents feel such an enterprise was lowering the tone of the area.
Thursday 26 November 2009 9.33pm
Oh dear, Phoney. This is where my ex-pat SE1 status seriously lets me down. I don't know the building you're referring to, or the area, so can't go any further down this road. Sounds a good idea though.
I've always thought 'Cash Generator' was a clever one. They're like an old fashioned pawn shop with a difference and they've got stores all over the country. You can sell them something and either walk away and forget it, or buy it back from them within thirty days, (I think.) It was the brainchild of Frank McClintock, the old Arsenal captain from the 1970's. Canny lad!
Friday 27 November 2009 10.21am
Southwark and Veolia are running a Give and Take Day tomorrow at the Beormund Community Centre:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/8115

There's another one in mid-January at Charles Dickens Primary School.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: