xmas come early

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 1 December 2009 10.11pm
I think by now we all realise that Xmas comes a little earlier every year. Personally, (and I would be so bold as to suggest that I'm not the only one who thinks so,) that this only serves to dilute the festive spirit. In my opinion, Xmas should begin on the first day of December. That way it would be predictable and we would all have something to focus on and look forward to as the magical day aproached. As it is, Xmas starts when the first supermarket/department store, decides it should. There's nothing worse than strolling along the aisles of my local supermarket in the middle of October and coming face to face with Xmas puddings, Xmas cards and the like. For over a week now there have been real Xmas trees on sale, minus the root! Does anyone really believe that in our cosy little centrally heated houses, they will still be alive on Xmas day?
Thursday 3 December 2009 12.50pm
I soooo agree with that! Being continental, I would put it even later at the 6th, but that's only because I think it is wrong to think about Santa before Sinterklaas has been and gone.
Thursday 3 December 2009 1.06pm
And may he bring you all you desire, Tattie.
But be sure to share your Kruidnoten!
Thursday 3 December 2009 3.28pm
I've already been sharing them! They were very nice, particularly the chocolate covered ones....
Thursday 3 December 2009 4.35pm
Christmas starts on the 24th, when I have the day off and watch White Christmas.

I don't care what the shops say.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 3 December 2009 6.14pm
Good for you, Ivanhoe!
Personally, I'm 'A Christmas carol' man myself, and the day that ceases to bring a tear to my eye I'll know I'm dead.
Tattie, I'm lucky that in my former life I had many clients on the continent and used to visit them during December to exchange presents. I wouldn't be anywhere else except England on Christmas day, but the Hamburg Christmas market during December is not to be missed if anyone gets the chance. My favourite ever biscuits, which I haven't had now for many years, will always be the ones my Swiss clients provided. In English it would roughly translate as, 'Little kisses from Basle,' but to attempt to spell that in the Swiss-German dialect would be an insult. The 'Chiasso cake' from the Italian speaking part of Switzerland simply melted in the mouth. But some of the schnapps I was foolhardy enough to sample left scars for weeks!
Sunday 6 December 2009 9.45pm
I can't agree more! At my parents place the Christmastree will be set up only on the 24th in the morning and is getting out on the 6th of January. In Switzerland this would be the 3 kings day.

Chalkey, I tried to think of which biscuits of Basel you were talking about, did you mean "Basler L├Ąckerli"? If yes, I can provide you the recepies for thatone and all the other Swiss christmas biscuits :-)
Monday 7 December 2009 1.02pm
Hi Sidi,
Yes it was Basler lackerli!
Merci vielmals!
Monday 7 December 2009 3.11pm
Monday 7 December 2009 8.51pm
Chalkey what is the Chiasso cake all about, the in-laws live in Lugano just up the road and we have not heard about this cake before...we used to have a Stollen sent over at Christmas until a year or so ago.
I think we have been missing out on a treat!

Sidi if you have the recipe for some nice Swiss biscuits and it would not be too much trouble, I would love to see a copy, many thanks.

Mr N and myself paid a brief visit to the German Christmas Market in Hyde Park the other day, it's huge, I really liked the smooth talking Moose head at the entrance, singing Carols.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: