pawn shop

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 11 December 2009 11.47am
if you take an article in, is it a third of the valuee or a fifth? in the hope that someone on here knows!

you can tell I am skint!
Friday 11 December 2009 2.19pm
roughly a third although they do it on the weight of the item and do give more and less, depending on various factors. Harvey & Thompson on Lower Road are very good - we used to be able to ask for more than they were offering. I've never felt any shame about using the pawn shop - was an excellent customer of Moneymatters in the Blue before H&T. One of them things that has to be done.
Friday 11 December 2009 3.50pm
Thank you Gavin:-) apparently even rich loaded folk are pawing their diamonds! I'll get mine out next week! lol

sorry pawning!
Friday 11 December 2009 6.42pm
Yet again, Jan, you've hit my old memory button.
'Uncles' we used to call it. My old nan lived her last few years with a curtain ring on her finger, because she'd lost her wedding ring in pawn. Happy days! I remember the pawn shop in the Walworth Road when I was a kid. You would not believe the amount of demob suits hanging in the window! As gavin says,
'One of those things that has to be done.'
I read somewhere that the symbol of the pawn shop, the three golden balls, represent the three bags of gold St Nicholas, (the patron saint of pawnbrokers,) gave to the three maidens to save them from a life of prostitution. I prefer the other version....You've got one chance in three of three of getting your stuff back!
Monday 4 January 2010 9.36am
I must admit I didn't think pawn shops were still in business until I read this article recently about how well they are doing in the recession. I always considered them to be these dodgy shops down the end of a dark alley but I was wrong. I actually pawned a few items before Christmas to buy a few presents. Also, a main source of their business is buying gold at the moment.
Tuesday 5 January 2010 2.28pm
the good old pawn shop, there for good times and bad. When times are good we buy stuff from the pawn shop and when times are bad, we pawn it!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: