Eccentrics.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 13 December 2009 11.39am
About a week ago at 8.15 on a very cold morning I was driving back from dropping my wife off at the station and coming towards me out of the gloom was a middle-aged man on a bike. He was wearing a bobble hat and gloves, but the rest of his garb consited of T-shirt and shorts! I would have thought that if it was cold enough for a bobble hat and gloves, it was cold enough for a coat and trousers. Then, this morning I was driving to my local Sainsbury's and drove past a bloke walking along the A13, also wearing a bobble hat and what was possibly the biggest winter puffer jacket I've ever seen. But his bottom half consisted of shorts and sandles.....No socks! I'm all for a good old bit of English eccentricity, but do they ALL have to live in Westcliff?
Anyone else out there seen anything to compare of the crazy scale?
Monday 14 December 2009 8.38am
One of my daughters lives in Derbyshire, and the old folks up there are very hardy. You get used to seeing white haired pensioners wearing a lightweight clothing while they are trimming their eighty foot trees in biting cold weather.

But even I was taken aback by seeing an eldery chap meander UP the hill wearing a tee shirt and shorts..in the pouring freezing rain clutching a carrier bag, whilst I shivered and froze in scarf,gloves,jumpers,cardies,and a big heavy coat! as he passed me he asked if I was alright..:-)
Tuesday 15 December 2009 3.54pm
On Long Lane the other day a man in shorts and singlet crossed the road in the twilight and deliberately bumped into me, then called me a bastard and ran off (not very fast). I thought this was, to say the least, eccentric. Then there is the chap who walks around Snowsfields shouting "Oi" at everyone who passes him. Finally, yesterday morning a man came up to me near Monument and asked me if I would look after his daughter for five minutes while he went to the betting shop. I refused for a whole host of reasons. "Don't worry," he responded, "I haven't got a daughter anyway."
Tuesday 15 December 2009 4.52pm
Longlaner,
reading yours made me ask myself the question, what's the difference between eccentric and just plain mad. Then I remembered the old adage on the subject....
'The rich are eccentric, the poor are mad.'
Tuesday 15 December 2009 6.34pm
longlaner wrote:
Then there is the chap who walks around Snowsfields shouting "Oi" at everyone who passes him.

He sometimes calls 'oi little-legs!'. I used to think it was only me he said it to but he's since said it to a friend on her way to work.
I actually find him a bit sad. He seems lonely and being weird is his attempt to make contact.
Wednesday 16 December 2009 9.22pm
Well Chalkey everytime when we go out and end up crossing Leicester Square (to take our bus) on a Saturday evening we see a lot of youngsters like that in the middle of winter! Even if we are from a mountain country and used to very cold weather we are convinced the British must have a very different feeling for cold weather then the Swissies... (I do not mean this negativ!)
Jac
Thursday 17 December 2009 10.57pm
I'd like to be eccentric but I think I am already mad:)
Tuesday 29 December 2009 3.28pm
Sidi wrote:
Well Chalkey everytime when we go out and end up crossing Leicester Square (to take our bus) on a Saturday evening we see a lot of youngsters like that in the middle of winter! Even if we are from a mountain country and used to very cold weather we are convinced the British must have a very different feeling for cold weather then the Swissies... (I do not mean this negativ!)
You should go to somewhere like Manchester or Newcastle on a Saturday night in Winter. Their dedication to public near-nudity in sub-zero temp's makes London folk look positively soft.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: