dangly thing!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 15 January 2010 3.30pm
Can anyone tell me what the thing is that you dangle in hot water to make a tisane? or as my son will moan at me a cuppa tea!

they used to have a chain or on a long handled spoon stirry thing..want to make full use of all the weeds in my garden in spring...never plant lemon balm!
Friday 15 January 2010 5.21pm
I think you're talking about an infuser aren't you? :)

Whittards usually have them.
Saturday 16 January 2010 11.23am
I've always known them as infusers. The old fashioned ones that looked like a baby crocodile, (at least that's how I used to think of it when I used to get it out of the draw and play with it when I was a kid,)and the new ones, a little ball on a chain, are also called infusers.
Couldn't agree more, Jan, about Lemon Balm. Along with Russian Vine and Red Valerian it's up there with the most pernicious garden invaders of all time.
Saturday 16 January 2010 4.31pm
Bramah used to do them, but I think it's closed now, isn't it?

I've had one from a poundstore before (not in SE1, unfortunately). I'd call them infusers, or "tea eggs" (which might just be my personal name for the ones like an egg on a chain, so possibly best ignore that.)

Mrs I bought one recently. I'll try to remember to ask where from.

(You could use a tea pot and strainer at a push, but I know it's not as convenient for a one-cup brew)

...if you press it, they will come.
Sunday 17 January 2010 1.48pm
An infuser oh thanks kids, I would have felt a plonker asking for a dangly thing1! lol

If my eradication programme which I started last year has not destroyed all the lemon balm and yarrow,nettle etc. I am going to dry them so propose to drink them..
Sunday 17 January 2010 8.21pm
One thing you can do with all those unwanted 'herbs' is to get a container and submerse them in water. After they have started to ferment they make a very good liquid fertilizer. But, be warned. Store it away from the house because it does pong in hot weather.
Monday 18 January 2010 8.26am
Funny Chalkey, years ago when I was more active in the garden I used to dump rhubarb leaves in water and when gloopy use the water to spray on greenfly, don't drink it though unless you want to meet your maker a bit quicker than you want, apparently leaves contain oxalic (?) acid...
Monday 18 January 2010 10.29am
Yes, Jan. Confirmed. Rhubarb leaves are poisonous.
Monday 18 January 2010 12.40pm
Ikea does both types- dangly and snappy.
I love nettle tea. I read somewhere you're supposed to harvest it at a particular time of year, or it can taste bitter. Also, there are two types and only one is good for tea. Partially helpful, sorry.
Tuesday 19 January 2010 6.07am
June I think Beetroot before they turn stringy..
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: