How obvious are your passwords?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 22 January 2010 10.47pm

If Your Password Is 123456, Just Make It HackMe
Published: January 20, 2010
Back at the dawn of the Web, the most popular account password was “12345.”
Today, it's one digit longer but hardly safer: “123456.”
Despite all the reports of Internet security breaches over the years, including the recent attacks on Google's e-mail service, many people have reacted to the break-ins with a shrug.
Saturday 23 January 2010 8.35pm
A friend of mine recently told me that she has about 4 different signatures and passwords, one for the bank, one for credit/debit cards, one for signing suppliers delivery forms and another for other situations. As long as each sector has a signature that is consistent with the one on file, who cares? I felt quite stupid at the thought that I have the same signature for every financial/domestic transaction and use my mother's real maiden name for the security questions - my friend used preposterous names such as Julius Ceasar or the like. It's so easy to find out your mother's maiden name since the dawn of freindsreunited and later facebook where family and friends are easy to trace, follow on with a postcode and your identity is up for grabs.
Sunday 24 January 2010 1.17am
FOUR different signatures and passwords?
I don't think that I could even remember four different passwords for various occasions, but how in the name of sweet Jesus can you remember to sign your name in four different ways, and for what purpose?
You are either Bill Bloggs or John Smith, why sign your driver's licence one way and sign for a recorded delivery from the mailman in another?
As a licenced taxi driver I have two identical cab driver's licences issued by TFL, (one is kept by the fleet proprietor of any taxi that I did not own, but rented instead, for the duration of said rental),and one regular licence from the DVLA.
If I signed these three in three different ways I would imagine that someone in authority would want to know why, and I cannot conceive of a satisfactory reason to offer them.
Sunday 24 January 2010 5.55pm
Blimey, I can hardly remember my name anyway. FOUR? And when I change my password I panic for the first three weeks. Irkesome. Anyway, with my name no one's going to be interested to steal my identity it's too peculiar.
Sunday 24 January 2010 7.07pm
One strange phenomenon that has occurred over and over again throughout my adult life is that of a certain sequence of four numbers repeatedly cropping up. (It will become clear why I don't list them here.)I can't remember the last time at least two of those numbers failed to appear in any pin number, reference number etc. that I have been given - not chosen. On many occasions, all four. I suppose a sceptic would say that with there only being eleven digits, if you include the zero, it's no surprise. But it happens too often to simply be the law of averages. It began when I left school in 1962 and got my first job. The telephone number of the messenger's room where I worked consisted of those four numbers. When I bought my first house in 1969, the telephone number I inherited consisted of those same numbers, not including the area code. Since then those numbers have re-occurred in house numbers, other telephone numbers etc. etc. I temporarily mislaid my debit card a few years ago and when I received the new pin number a few days before the card, it was the same four exactly the same order. Spooky.
Before anyone suggests it, I have tried them as lottery numbers and I'm still poor!
Monday 25 January 2010 7.38am
As we discussed on another thread...paranormal forces work in mysterious ways
Wednesday 10 February 2010 4.21pm
I used to have different passwords also, but then I started forgetting them. So I found that there are free softwares that will do the job for you. You can even change passwords regularly and don't need to remember them. There is only one main or master password to remember and that's all. and in case you are not on your own Pc, you can login online and check for the password that you have forgotten.
Thursday 11 February 2010 3.45pm
I sat next to a bloke (no idea who it was) in a meeting today who had qwerty as a password. He was not very secretive about it either!
Monday 15 February 2010 2.14pm
It really astounds me how people can pick such obvious passwords. Really, it takes little imagination to come up with something a little different!

Postal Gold- sell your gold jewellery for cash.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: