Justice?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 11 February 2010 5.33pm
I will never understand the finer points of this country's legal system. I'm surely not the only one who thinks the term, 'Life imprisonment,' is a joke. I heard news of the latest such sentence on the radio this afternoon. A woman has been given life for murdering her lover by poisoning his food. She has been told that she will spend a minimum of 23 years behind bars. She's 45 at the moment, so with a stunning bit of maths I reckon she could be out when she's 68. Not 'life' then is it?
The thing that really gets my goat though is how do they square a sentence like that one with ones where children have been involved? There have been cases in recent years where children have been abused and tortured to death, and the 'life' sentence has just about reached double figures. I know it's only Chalkey having another rant, but there is nothing more precious than the life of a child. So if anyone can throw some light on how such perpetrators can be handed ten, twelve or even fifteen year sentence under the term, 'life,' when they should throw away the key, then I'm all ears.
Friday 12 February 2010 8.13am
and I'm on your wavelength Chalkey. One case that I particulary remember several years ago was the policeman who was charged with ' manslaughter' after stabbing his wife over ninety times..I always thought manslaughter was a term used to describe an accidental death inflicted on another human being, i.e. I punched him and he fell back on the coffee table and cracked his skull.
It's something I feel so strongly about Chalkey where is the deterrent, and you often read about teenagers who kick punch kill others but are too young to have there names printed in newspapers, 16 and 17 year olds.
If they are old enough to kill they should shoulder the responsibilty of public knowledge..good behaviour is the rent we pay to live freely in society..
rant over..till the next time!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: