brakey/breaky bus riding

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 27 February 2010 2.57pm
I hold bus drivers in the highest esteem most of the time (well....). It doesn't look a fun job. But one thing which concerns me is their inability to brake smoothly.
I don't mean when they are trying to avoid crazy pedestrians leaping out in front of them or every car thinking a bus doesn't have any right to be on the road, never mind right of way. That's when they need to slpa the foot down.
I mean the sudden "emergency" jolts for no reason which flng standing or moving passengers from one end to the other or headlong down (or up!)the stairs.

Particularly mad seem the sudden swerve-and-halt at bus stops. I want to say: "Look mate, you must have realised one was there. It always is on this route. Bus stops are your thing, aren't they? Plus that's the very time your pasengers are upright and moving. Not great to dislocate shoulders, even though you probably think some of them deserve it."

Surely this is really dangerous? I'm not a wimp and I'm not in any way infirm-yet! It just strikes me as either really bad bus brakes or really bad driving, considering these guys have packed vehicles of standing-room-only proportions.

Should we start a campaign to remind bus drivers that stamping on the brakes for no reason can hurt their cargo? That they have passengers and are not driving a waggon full of tins of beans?
Java
Saturday 27 February 2010 7.21pm
Java, I wish I could share your sentiments about holding bus drivers in high esteem. I hasten to add that London bus drivers might be perfect specimens, but where I live they are criminal.
When I learnt to drive, the three magic words were: 'Mirror,signal,manouvre.' In my part of Essex, bus drivers do it the other way round and don't always include the first discipline. I have lost count of how many times I have been about to overtake a stationary bus which has been sitting at a bus stop with its left indicator blinking, only for the driver to flick the indicator to 'right' and pull straight out. All in one go. The last time this happened I was two thirds of the way past the bus and had to swerve halfway accross the road to avoid being hit broadside. Fortunately there was nothing immediately coming in the other direction. I always let a bus out if i am aware of his intentions, but i have yet to be let out by a bus. I have a 'T' junction at the traffic lights at the end of my road and countless times I have been waiting there to pull out and a bus has come along when the lights have been red and sat across the junction rather than let me out.
Don't worry, Java, you'll get used to Chalkey's rants.
Tuesday 2 March 2010 10.33am
java - complain to TfL - if enough people complain to them, they'll eventually get the message that we're not happy - also complain to the individual bus company concerned, as I believe that there are several across Londond, and not all are as bad.

also to note that sometimes if drivers are running late, then they'll drive slightly more eratically, but conversely, if they're on time (or even early - shock horror), then they'll drive slowly and causiously, but that's quite often just as annoying - passengers wanting to get somewhere on time, and other road users getting frustrated being stuck behind not just a bus, but a slow moving bus!

(I think I'll go and complain too!)
Tuesday 2 March 2010 1.04pm
JonR wrote:
also to note that sometimes if drivers are running late, then they'll drive slightly more eratically

Jon mate - that ain't an excuse. I expect to get there in 1 piece regardless.

I have noticed that 78 and 42 pilots both use the brake/accelerator in a digital fashion - i.e. full on or full off. They seem to drive their 7 ton bus like a small car. Dunno why the 78/42 route attracts drivers like that.
Tuesday 2 March 2010 1.19pm
The 188 drivers are the worst of the sorry bunch, IMHO. It's like an unwanted fairground ride.

I try to avoid getting on them as I almost always end up aching, furious and yes, a litle bit terrified.

I cannot get over the memory that it was a 188 that killed that poor girl on TBR, wasn't it?
Tuesday 2 March 2010 2.05pm
No, no, no.

The lady on TBR was killed by a falling branch from a tree. And in fact the 188 pilot was a hero that day - he swerved to avoid the tree as it collapsed.

AFAIK the tree was undermined following flood in a near by street.
Thursday 4 March 2010 3.28pm
And also I have noticed that buss drivers they love to stop exactly in front of the buss stop post or rubish bin that it stand right in the middle of the door. Especially when I am comming from nightshift with my big bag and buss drriver stops that I can hardly get on bus because of the obstacle in my way....It drives me crazy...
Thursday 4 March 2010 3.53pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
No, no, no.
The lady on TBR was killed by a falling branch from a tree. And in fact the 188 pilot was a hero that day - he swerved to avoid the tree as it collapsed.

AFAIK the tree was undermined following flood in a near by street.

Oh, I am very happy to be corrected about that. Thank you. Just shows how dangerous urban myth/Chinese whispers can be. I had heard that he wasn't paying attention for whatever reason and had clipped the tree.

But, I still nominate the 188 as the most terrifying and uncomfortable journey.
Monday 8 March 2010 12.26pm
La Martinet wrote:

But, I still nominate the 188 as the most terrifying and uncomfortable journey.

I happened to mention to the driver of a black cab that I was in recently that I had experienced an uncomfortable ride in a bus and he replied, "I sympathise with you love, but I can't really comment, I haven't been on a bus since the old King died!" I hadn't heard that one before and it made me smile.
Saturday 13 March 2010 4.08pm
I have Tfl on speed dial now and am going to phone in every misdemeanour I experience! Is that sad or have I simply too little to do? One son of beelzebub recently clipped so many cars in his bid to get back to the terminal stop I was surprised someone didn't do violence to him.

666-truly the number of the bus.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: