Does anyone want some free guppies?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
moriarty Sunday 21 March 2010 2.11pm
I have a small fish tank and my fish won't stop breeding. Does anyone want some for free? Bring something to put them in and you can have as many as you can carry. I live by The Young Vic.

I don't want to flush them down the toilet, I have seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Advertisement

Jan the old one Sunday 21 March 2010 3.37pm
How about taking them to an aquatic shop Moriarty? FinKIng down the blue? or is there still one in southwark park road, near the old aylwin school?
jackie rokotnitz Sunday 21 March 2010 5.07pm
Hey Moriarty havent heard from you in ages. I opened this 'cos I wasnt sure what a guppy was...sorry I cant accommodate any of your offspring..
chalkey Sunday 21 March 2010 5.24pm
If they are in fact guppies, then aren't they renowned for eating their own young? In which case they will thin themselves out eventually. If not, then you've got vegetarian guppies!
moriarty Sunday 21 March 2010 6.19pm
They are in fact guppies. They only eat their young if you don't feed them enough. I won't starve them so they eat each other. That is just cruel. I could release them into the Thames.

Jackie you should get a fishtank. They are very relaxing. You can get someone in to clean it. You could have all my fish and I could get a hamster.

Jan, taking them to a fish shop would involve me being outside. I would prefer not to be.
chalkey Sunday 21 March 2010 9.25pm
Moriarty, you must excuse my ignorance. I was under the impression that guppies ate their young as a natural population control type thingy, not just if they were underfed. If you are seriously thinking of getting a hampster, be aware they have an average lifespan of just two years. (Not much of a return for the initial investment of the cage and other paraphernalia.) My kids had many hampsters during thier early years. The last one came to a very sad end....
It fell asleep at the wheel!
moriarty Sunday 21 March 2010 10.53pm
I probably won't get a hamster. I doubt they are as chatty as guppies.
beetroot Monday 22 March 2010 12.22am
I believe people separate the sexes. Apparently its easy to sex guppies. To breed well you'll end up needing loads of tanks but you could just separate and stick to one sex, buying more when you're tank's getting empty. Never trust a pet shop to sex for you though. Most couldn't sex a shire horse.
Jan the old one Monday 22 March 2010 8.55am
You could not get Dobbin in a tank! lol

We used to keep fish and Moriarty is right when he said to watch them is very relaxing.
We had neon tetras, absolutely wonderful bans of light shooting through the weed, and a black molly, angel fish,guppies,and a gorgeous siamese fighting fish,gourami and a massive sucking loach which clean the walls of the tank. With the right filters etc., they are easy to keep.

the only problem we had was when i bougt some weed/plants thingys it had snails on and did not see it..had ro rinse the gravel out in an old pair of tights in a bath full of hot water...and get new filters etc., never realised how quickly snails could reproduce either,..if I had the room in my living room I would probably get some again,
fish I mean not snails...
Ivanhoe Monday 22 March 2010 5.53pm
beetroot wrote:
Apparently its easy to sex guppies.
..but surely illegal, and, I'd imagine, not really all that satisfying.
...if you press it, they will come.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions