No spare tyres

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 2 May 2010 7.04am
Just an interesting thing I have just read..
'an increasing number of new cars no longer come with a spare wheel. This means the car is lighter, has lower CO2 emissions and provides a saving on fuel costs.'

I find that incredible, do they really think people will fall for that flimsy reasoning? or some politician has shares in the spare wheel industry! I'd rather have a car that has an allocated space for a spare...
Sunday 2 May 2010 6.12pm
Jan

It's not as silly as you might think. Generally only cars with "run flat" tyres fitted are sold without spares. I travelled around with a "punctured" run flat for 2 weeks during the snow at Christmas/New Year and didn't notice a great difference. I wasn't being negligent but couldn't get one fitted at the time.

A run flat with low air pressure (i.e. when punctured) doesn't look much difference to a standard one and is safe to drive at 50mph. The advantage for less able drivers (whether young or old) is that you don't get stranded at the side of the road having to change a tyre.

Not a perfect solution but does have advantages even without environmental benefits.

Marcus
Monday 3 May 2010 7.23am
Blimey Marcus,

I feel really dense, I never knew such things existed!
tyres that run flat..next thing you know I'll be asking where does the starting handle go...it used to go under the front I think..or did it? lol

But if you went for an M.O.T would that make it difficult for you to pass having no spare?

Jan..the dense one!
Monday 3 May 2010 8.06pm
You managed to frighten me over the MOT test; as it happens, I've now checked and it's not part of the test.
Tuesday 4 May 2010 8.14am
Gosh, like Jan I belong to the age of the horse and cart, and while I've had cars with "baby wheels" which you put on for a short time till you get to the garage, but I too have never heard of the "run flat" tire...thanks for the information!!
Thursday 6 May 2010 10.08pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Gosh, like Jan I belong to the age of the horse and cart, and while I've had cars with "baby wheels" which you put on for a short time till you get to the garage, but I too have never heard of the "run flat" tire...thanks for the information!!

Good you've been on the horse and cart age, I belong to the bare feet age... no slippers yet
Friday 7 May 2010 8.05pm
Oopppsss....sorry if there's someone offended on what I just said...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: