Who wants to be a millionaire

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 4 May 2010 10.37pm
While this programme is not compulsive viewing chez Pepper if it appears when one of us is channel surfing it is usually left on until at least the next commercial break while we vie to see if we can beat each other, (and the contestants) to the answers.
What we cannot get over though, is when a contestant opts to "ask the audience", there is ALWAYS, ALWAYS, a percentage that comes up with an option that your pet cat would know is wrong.
e.g. "What is the capital of Spain?"
A Madrid, B Sydney, C Buenos Aires, or D Reykjavik ?
While 90% will opt for Madrid, it's dollars to doughnuts that some will go for Reykjavik!
Where do they find these people?
Wednesday 5 May 2010 6.49am
Well well, Tom Pepper, you DO lead an interesting life...
Wednesday 5 May 2010 4.59pm
when you apply to be on the show, you have to get a question right. once short listed, you have to go through an elimination process, and pick a date on which you can turn up.
There are ten people each show, sat in the contestant seats, but they actually get 200 people to turn up.
Those ten that you see are either randomly selected, or are the best at fastest finger type elimination rounds that we don't see.

What this means is that the audience is (as far as I'm aware) made up of people who actually want to be contestents, and got through (and are therefore quite intelligent)

I guess the two people who say reykjavik, either genuinely don't know (and guessing), pressed the wrong button by mistake, or are having a laugh.
Wednesday 5 May 2010 7.13pm
JonR wrote:

What this means is that the audience is (as far as I'm aware) made up of people who actually want to be contestants, and got through (and are therefore quite intelligent)

I guess the two people who say Reykjavik, either genuinely don't know (and guessing), pressed the wrong button by mistake, or are having a laugh.

I think that you are maybe being a tad charitable there Jon.
It's a bit of a stretch to think that anyone of reasonable intelligence would have to guess at the capital of Spain, and even then to guess at probably the most un Iberian sounding place name on the board.
Wrong button pressing I can buy, but having a laugh?
I'm not sold on that one.
Wednesday 5 May 2010 7.33pm
Remember that the late Jade Goody thought East Anglia was abroad somewhere...
Wednesday 5 May 2010 11.24pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Remember that the late Jade Goody thought East Anglia was abroad somewhere...

Hardly a surprise, she also thought that Pistachio was a famous artist, but then she wasn't a contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire.
(Thinks, perhaps she was in the audience.)
Thursday 6 May 2010 1.06pm
heh.

well, I'm not stupid but until a few weekends ago, I thought margate was up near blackpool :->

we all have different areas of knowledge.

I did ask the cat, but she'd never been either.
Thursday 6 May 2010 4.46pm
yeah, Margate does sound like it might be a northern place (to those who don't know where it is), just like until I moved to London I thought Billericay was a town in Ireland.
Thursday 6 May 2010 10.00pm
Bloggie wrote:
heh.
well, I'm not stupid but until a few weekends ago, I thought margate was up near blackpool :->

we all have different areas of knowledge.

I did ask the cat, but she'd never been either.
I suggest you should ask the pigeons instead of the cats...
Friday 7 May 2010 12.43pm
JonR wrote:
yeah, Margate does sound like it might be a northern place (to those who don't know where it is), just like until I moved to London I thought Billericay was a town in Ireland.
hahaha snap! I got very confused when a pal moved there.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: