Age laws.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 11 May 2010 7.17pm
This subject has crossed my mind many times over the years, but having just heard the latest advert for the National Lottery, I thought I would at last ask for an explaination from anyone who can offer it.
You have to be sixteen years old to buy a lottery ticket. Therefore, in a few months time, my youngest daughter will be perfectly at liberty, (without my, or anyone else's consent,) to go along to her bank, draw a hundred pounds out of her savings account and buy a hundred scratch cards from the nearest newsagent. But, because she will still be under eighteen when the time comes, she will not be legally allowed to go in to a betting shop next April and put 25p on a horse that she likes the name of in the Grand National.
She can come with me to the pub any night of the week and stand next to me with a lemonade and a bag of crisps while she watches me sup my pint. But it will be another two years before she can legally stand next to me in a betting shop and enjoy the fun of watching the horse I, (not she,) has backed, win or lose. Can someone please explain the finer points of these anomalies in our age laws?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: