"New" Routemaster

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Boss St Bloke Monday 17 May 2010 11.12am
The new routemaster design has been revealed.

Looking good me thinks - 3 doors, 2 staircases and hop-on/off!

BoJo says "I expect to eventually have hundreds of these on London's roads" - nice one.

Gavin Smith Monday 17 May 2010 11.27am
It looks like a quirky design (in a nice way) and beats the bendy-buses, but I can't help but wonder whether the money might have been better spent elsewhere.

On a separate (but related) point though, whatever happened to the masses of bus conductors following the Routemaster's exit from the London scene? Were they made redundant or were they redeployed elsewhere by the bus companies and in what capacity? Surely the fact they were conductors meant they couldn't drive? Anyone know?
mickysalt Monday 17 May 2010 11.40pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
A quick look around

I'm presuming it was designed and will be built in Britain.

Unlike the horrible bendy bus.
jackie rokotnitz Tuesday 18 May 2010 6.12am
What will happen to the retired bendys?
janefs Tuesday 18 May 2010 11.27am
mickysalt wrote:
Boss St Bloke wrote:
A quick look around

If you had bothered to read the article referred to by Boss in his original post you'd see that you presumed correctly. Indeed, one of your favourite architectural practices was involved in the design process :)
Ivanhoe Tuesday 18 May 2010 2.47pm
If it (and its driver) has the ability to stick roughly in one lane of the road when turning left or right (rather than the current practice of taking up the whole road in order to do any basic manoeuvre), it would be a HUGE improvement on any current bus design.

If, in addition, it had some sort of device (like, I don't know, a driver who follows the Highway Code, or something radical like that) that prevented it from routinely running red lights, then I'd be so impressed that I'd even consider voting for Boris next time round.

...if you press it, they will come.
Boss St Bloke Tuesday 18 May 2010 4.09pm
Compare the old and the new...

mickysalt Tuesday 18 May 2010 4.10pm
janefs wrote:
mickysalt wrote:
Boss St Bloke wrote:
A quick look around

If you had bothered to read the article referred to by Boss in his original post you'd see that you presumed correctly. Indeed, one of your favourite architectural practices was involved in the design process :)

I only mention this as supporting British manufacturing and designs is something we should be shouting about,
Politicians don't shout about it because the minute one of our centre piece manufactures gets bought by a foreign organisation they turn round and tell us it doesn't mater.

The problem with this being that is does mater.
jackie rokotnitz Tuesday 18 May 2010 6.31pm
ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER?? What will happen to the ex-bendys? Will they be turned into single buses or put onthe scrap heap or what?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions