Jam today.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 7 June 2010 11.15pm
I was half paying attention this evening to a program on BBC3, which featured an attractive and well-heeled fashion model who had gone to South Africa to witness abject poverty. A thing of which she was in total ignorance. Some of the scenes reduced the poor lass to tears and had me pretty damn close.
Hang on a minute. Isn't South Africa where the World Cup finals is about to kick-off in a week or so's time? Has anyone any idea how much it costs to stage World Cup finals? I haven't, but I think we are talking tens of millions here. The immediate response of the non-starving South Africans who are putting on this show, will be that it will, (hopefully,) generate income and thereby, (eventually,) fill the bellies of the hitherto starving members of the populace.
I'm a gambling man, but if I were a starving gambling man and was asked to choose between a full belly today, or the 'possibility' of a full belly this time next year, I know where my shilling would go.
Assuming that I lose the South African argument, here's another one to chew over.
India is being touted as the next 'Super Economy.' From what I've read and heard, that will probably be the case, but they still have people starving in the streets. So what did India do last year? It sent a rocket in to space at a cost of tens of millions of pounds. I'm obviously wrong in all of this, so will somebody kindly put me right as to the wisdom of these displays of 'wealth?' The clever men and women who are in government in the aforementioned nations are far better educated than this product of the Council house system. But, as the late, great Clement Freud once said, "Never confuse knowledge with wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad."
I think some of these knowledgable people need to wise-up.
If you ain't got food, don't buy a microwave!
Wednesday 9 June 2010 2.06pm
Although I see where you coming from, you may also want to consider teh followng: http://www.abnamro.com/pressroom/pressreleasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=278403

OK - it's from a bank, and in a far and distance past I have even worked for them. Howevet, this particular press release leads to a couple of very interesting documents (admittedly probably a much better use of their time) about the impact of hosting and winning the worldcup on the respective economies of the countries. Unfortunately they have not done one again this year, but it does gives some interesting insights...
Wednesday 9 June 2010 6.33pm
I don't dispute for one moment the kudos of staging a World Cup Finals, Olympic Games etc., or the benefit to the economy that often, (but not always,) follows. My point is that if people are living in abject poverty, starving and, in many cases, dying as a result, then the money available should be used to get that nation's own back yard in order, rather than put on a show that will, (Possibly,) be of benefit in the future. The following may be an extreme comment, but if I was cradling the body of my child who had died of hunger or disease, and a politition tried to tell me that the benefit to the economy generated by the wonderful show that is about to commence in my country, and which will be watched on television the world over, (except by me and my kind, who are too poor to own a television,) might save lives in the future, then I'm afraid my response would be somewhat selfish.
Friday 11 June 2010 8.51am
I caught part of at item on the 'Today' programme on Radio4 this morning where some expert was giving his opinion of how, or if, the World Cup will benefit the South African economy. In his opinion, it won't. I wish I'd caught the whole interviw, but two of his reasons I did manage to hear were firstly, that the large stadia etc., which have been built specifically for this event at huge cost, will never be filled again. The other one being that the number of visitors to S.A. for the World Cup is aproximately half of that which was forecast.
We can't turn the clock back, the money has been spent and the World Cup starts today. For the poor of South Africa's sake, I hope this morning's radio speaker is proved wrong.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 9.55am
I'd leave off other countries, and start in your own back yard.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 10.00am
The World Cup finals are not happening in my back yard at the moment. If they were, and we had the same problems, I'd be equally critical.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 1.15pm
No, the WC finals aren't in the UK.

But our Govts and councils (current and previous - this isn't a party political point) spend huge amounts of money every day on things other than the relief of poverty/homelessness/etc.

Which is why I'm suggesting that a more fruitful approach for people who feel the same way as you do, Chalkey, may be to look closer to home and try to resolve some of our own problems before criticising someone else's Govt.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 15 June 2010 3.18pm
The thing is, Ivanhoe, that the World Cup is the topical thing and the media is full of it, 24/7. The tv and radio programmes, (particularly the tv one,) hit a nerve. Sure there are unpleasant things going on in this country and, to varying degrees, every other country in the world. However, I'm glad to say I've never witnessed scenes in this country like the ones on the tv programme about povery in S.A. Perhaps there was a hidden agenda in putting that programme on at this time and Mr. Naive here, who wears his heart on his sleeve, fell for it.
Friday 18 June 2010 9.15am
I have to agree with Ivanhoe here - there is a lot more poverty in this country than you think.
Friday 30 July 2010 2.20am
You are both right, there is poverty in the Uk, but not as obvious as in SA or other developing countries. Frankly, in comparison, is as if you have to look for poverty in the UK, unlike in SA, is all over the place, every where you look, you see abject poverty.

In the UK, poor people live on the street and they can't afford to eat, because they "chose" to be like that, if there is ever anything like choosing to be poor. Otherwise, an homeless person can be temporary accommodated in a hostel, B&Bs,even hotels, while waiting for re-housing from the govt, and they get "enough" benefit to feed and live, not survive, but actually live. Not seeking help or rejecting help as a "poor UK citizen" is not a poverty.

And yes,I know,there are few exceptions,in comparison.

The poor people of SA and other developing countries, have none of that, they don't know where there next meal is coming from, but they are certain that if they fell seriously sick, they will die without medical treatment, because they don't have NHS, and of course, they cannot afford medical treatment. So,a child would watch his parent died of a curable illness and parents would watch their children die of a curable disease, simply because they can't afford medical treatment. That will not happen to a UK homeless/poor person.

Which makes me wonder, in caparison, whether their govt know where their priority lies.

UK govt can afford to "invest" in Olympics and world cup,e.t.c, but in SA and other developing countries, their govt just cannot afford to "invest" that much money in uncertainty, when his people are practically dying by the minutes!

Yeah, maybe they will make some profit from the world cup and Olympic, but before that money is materialized, how many children would have died of hunger, how many families would have died of curable disease? and THAT my friends, would not happen in the UK.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: