Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 12 July 2010 7.20pm
Today I went into Tesco @ Cleethorpes to buy 50 of wines and spirits to qualify for 5p off my petrol.

I was surprised to find that all the adverts re the offer in store had been removed, so I asked six members of staff if the offer was still on. The results were three all. I then asked a cashier and she verified the offer was still on.

As a retired marketing man I found this to be very odd and not the best way to attract customers to spend 50 on goods.
Tuesday 13 July 2010 10.03pm
John, don't lose any sleep over it. It's a sign of the times which, sadly, seems like it's here to stay. I'm an old dinasaur who began his working life back in a time when you were paid to do your job properly, otherwise, you were out. No umpteen verbal warnings, no umpteen written warnings; just out. These days it's the total opposite. There exists an inocompetent's charter. I could write a book on incidents which, in my day, would not have been tolerated by either the customer, or the employer.

Some recent examples.
1/ My wife bought an electric iron from Curry's a few months ago. Within a month it stopped working. We took it back under the guarantee and they told her to choose another iron. The only one she liked was ten pounds cheaper and so they gave her a voucher to that value to be used within twelve months. It was a little wallet with 'Curry's' printed all over it, which my wife placed in her purse. A few weeks later we needed an extension lead and so we went off to Curry's, armed with our ten pound voucher which had not been out of my wife's purse since the day she was given it. When we handed over the little wallet, there was no voucher inside. The earlier member of staff had omitted to enclose it. Thanks to that person's incompetence, we didn't have a leg to stand on. So I forked out 9.99 for the extension lead. In a perfect world my wife should have checked the little wallet before she left the store, but placing a voucher in a wallet isn't rocket science, is it?

2/ One of my daughters has discovered a penchant for 'Rekorderlig,' a Swedish cider which is becoming very trendy and which is available only in a few places. Via the internet she tracked down a source and ordered a case of the apple variety for her forthcoming birthday party. (They make at least three varieties, which include pear and rasberry, but she only likes the traditional apple.) It arrived today, just as I was on my way out. I left the box in the hall and when my daughter arrived home from work and began to unpack it, she discovered that it contained the pear variety, which she doesn't like. Again, not rocket science, just another examle of a simple task that some people find difficult to get right.

I've saved the best 'til last and I apologise for the fact that I've mentioned this one before on another thread.
Late last year one of my daughters was given a verbal apponintment at our local hospital for a kidney scan and was told that it would be confirmed in writing. When the letter arrived it gave a different date. I was prepared to accept the written version as gospel, but something told me to double check. When I did so I was told that the letter was wrong and the verbal version was right. How can that work?
Only a few weeks later my other daughter had an appointment at the the opthalmic departmenet at the same hospital. She'd had a writeen confirmation, but this was then changed, in writing, for the following Saturday. My daughter took a day's leave in order to keep the re-arranged appointment, but when she arrived she was told that her appointment had again been changed, back to the original date. My daughter explained that she had recieved no notification of this, but she was told, quite blandly, that as the consultant was not there on that day there was nothing they could do. So she came home. I phoned the hospital on the following Monday to complain about both incidents, but they made it as difficult as possible for me to do so, saying they required written and verbal evidence of all that had transpired. This, of course, we had not retained because, (call us old fashioned,) we expected it all to be straight forward.
Thursday 15 July 2010 12.45pm
The other case of cider arrived this morning. Can't knock the promptness of their delivery service but, man oh man, can they get anything right at that depot? I made sure I opened the case to check that it was the right variety this time and the delivery man stood at the door while I did so. I lifted one of the bottles up and, hoorah! It was apple. The right variety this time. Except, there was a bottle missing. They had sent a twenty-bottle case, but it contained only nineteen bottles. I counted them twice and then got the delivery man to count them. Sure enough.....nineteen bottles. My daughter came down stairs because she'd heard the door bell, (It's her day off,) and I told her the problem. She phoned the company and they said the simplest thing would be to keep one of the bottles of pear to make up the number. I would have thought the simplest thing would have been to get it right in the first place!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: