Seagulls

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 4 August 2010 6.17pm
A flock of seagulls seems to have taken up residence over Crampton Street and the surrounding streets, screeching night and day. Where have they come from and why are they here? They're driving me mad!
Wednesday 4 August 2010 6.53pm
It's a funny old world. When I was a kid the only place I saw seagulls was at the seaside. Now, in order to survive, they have become urban. I read somewhere that this urbanisation, (is there such a word or have I just made that up?) is caused by all the polution in the sea and the demise of the plantlife and crustacea that the seagulls lived on. Why then is it, that here in Westcliff-on-Sea/Southend, we don't have seagulls in the towns, only down at the seafront? I can only assume it's because they love the chips that are constantly thrown to them by the promenaders. As for Crampton Street, is the chippy still open round the corner opposite Manor Place Baths? Perhaps that's the attraction, but only if they now sell chips without having to buy fish. There was nothing worse than coming out of the baths after a few hours swimming, starving hungry and smelling the chippy opposite but knowing that they wouldn't sell you a bag of chips unless you bought fish as well. Which us schoolkids couldn't afford. Happy days.
Wednesday 4 August 2010 7.17pm
There's a takeaway there but it's the generic pizza/chicken/kebab type place - I'm sure they'd love to sell anything they can to anyone!
Thursday 5 August 2010 8.37pm
I live at the Bricklayers arms, and hear them ever morning 4.30/5.00am. I love the sound of seagulls, its nice to wake up to.
Friday 6 August 2010 3.42pm
Ooh, rather you than me. Hearing them that early would drive me mad!
janny wrote:
..and hear them ever morning 4.30/5.00am.
Friday 6 August 2010 4.07pm
It's a close run thing but I think I would rather seagulls than the dreadful ack, ack of magpies. But then again, I wouldn't want either at that time in the morning!
Friday 6 August 2010 5.16pm
I've noticed them over the last week as i've cycled to and from work - are they over the Manor Place depot?
Friday 6 August 2010 9.53pm
Sarah they may well be. Don't know if something in their set-up has changed to attract seagulls over there though?
Monday 9 August 2010 10.33am
I love the sound of seagulls/magpies/foxes or any other animals. I hear foxes outside my bedroom window most nights and would rather hear them anytime than the terrible noises made by people in SE17 where some of the most inconsiderate, selfish people seem to live...
Monday 9 August 2010 11.37am
I've always loved the countryside, and the sights, sounds and smells that go with it. Must have been all those years hop picking as a child. 'Oppin' dahn in Kent.' I now find the countryside has come to me. How the environment has changed. In my back garden in the middle of Westcliff I've seen more varieties of birds than I ever saw in rural life. As well as the common or garden sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, collared doves, magpies, etc, I've seen Kestrels, blue tits, greenfinches and even jays, once the shyest of birds that you would only glimpse in dense woodland, if you were lucky. We get a lot of foxes in our gardens here, but unfortunately they are not the beautiful, bushy-tailed ones we used to see in nature books. They have evolved in to the hoary, skinny, urban variety with discusting habits. Because I have a dog and a cat, the foxes deem it necessary to make their own territorial claims by urinating and pooing on my back doorstep. Believe me, when the odour of fox urine gets in to your sinuses, it's there for hours. A bowl of disinfected, soapy water is now the first order of the day. If I forget to bring my cat's feeding bowl in at night, the foxes will leave their calling card in the middle of it. But, live and let live. I did get a kick out of a fox walking past me, about a metre from my feet without seeing me, when I was sitting out in the garden late one evening.
Like you, Mark, I find it easier to forgive an animal that is only obeying its instincts, than the thoughtless, inconsiderate behaviour of certain humans.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: