money tubes.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
chalkey Wednesday 11 August 2010 3.13pm
I was browsing another community website earlier and mention was made of Geo.Carter's outfitters in the Old kent Road. I remember it well and can visualise the interior even now. Mention was made of the 'money tubes' that used to whizz around the store, presumabley sent on their way by jets of air. I don't remember them in that store, but I do recall being in a shop in the Walworth Road with my mum back in the early 1950's and that old shop had them. I may be getting confused, but I think they also had high wires that transported money around the store as well. Although I can't imagine why they would need both. Would anyone know what store this would have been? It was about a hundred yards or so on the left of the Walworth Road if you came out of East Street Market towards Camberwell. I guess just about opposite where the old Carter Street Police Station used to be.
Jan the old one Thursday 12 August 2010 9.59pm
Did they have them also at the Elephant Chalkey, pneumatically operated Mum said, cant think of the name of the flipping shop.There was several around when we were young....tube went up to Cashiers with the money and details, down would come receipt and change!
chalkey Friday 13 August 2010 9.25pm
Jan, The only place I saw them after that was either Selfridge's or Gamage's. Those old emporiums were works of art.
beetroot Saturday 14 August 2010 12.39pm
They have them at the Dungeon, between tills, cash office and 'top' office. One of the tubes was only installed a few weeks ago.
Jan that's amazing that your Mum was pneumatically operated!
Jan the old one Tuesday 17 August 2010 9.00am
Beetroot....lol, oh she was, especially when she was hurtling around strood house square trying to wallop me because I had hopped the wag! and by heck she was pneumatically powered then! :-)

I think Chalky the co-op?
chalkey Tuesday 17 August 2010 9.40am
I'm sure the Co-Ops must have had them, Jan, but the only Co-Op I ever went in was the one on the corner of Surrey Square/Old Kent Road and I( don't remember them having them. I can remember winning a few bob on the gee-gee's one Saturday and treating my mum and dad to a steak dinner. It must have been about 1967. I strolled over to the Co-Op and bought a huge slice of rump steak that easilly fed the three of us. Cost me a fortune......Six shillings!
(That's 30p to the younger readers.)
Falj Wednesday 18 August 2010 8.59am
You know I've heard of these tubes but never say any in action.
Tom Pepper Wednesday 18 August 2010 9.51pm
Jan the old one wrote:
trying to wallop me because I had hopped the wag! and by heck she was pneumatically powered then! :-)

To a lot of our younger posters this must have sounded like some questionable South London curious habit from days gone by!
I can imagine them muttering, "Hopped the wag? Hopped the wag? What on earth is that?"
Jan the old one Friday 20 August 2010 9.14am
Hi Tom, I never knew if the wag was the school board man or the school! just knew if I skipped school without Mum knowing and she alway, always found out, call it Mothers sixth sense.. even before I confessed and had to ask for a note for the teacher because in the old days as well we all know it had to be supplied first day back at school...

if pushed Mum would write down 'I poor suffering child had another bilious attack' which went down reasonably well with the teacher until she asked me what it was...I never had a clue!
chalkey Friday 20 August 2010 10.00pm
Jan, I reckon 99 percent of my school sick notes were for 'bilious attacks.' but I don't think I ever had one. I think it was a case of my mum not knowing how to spell the actual malady.
Re 'hopping the wag,' I always thought it referred to hopping off of the back of the wagon and making a run for it. originating from back in the days when village kids went to school on the back of a wagon. It would be interesting to hear of any other ideas of the origin.

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions