scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
chalkey Wednesday 25 August 2010 10.46am
Just thought I'd bring to everyone's attention this latest variation on an old scam.
My daughter's friend's mother was shopping in Debenhams last week and while there she pooped to the loo. She hung her handbag on the hook and someone, who must have been watching her go in, reached over, took the bag and made of with it. By the time she'd got her act together and reported it to customer services, the bag and the thief were long gone. Later that day she received a phone call, saying, 'It's Debenhams here. we've found your bag.' Much relieved, she hurried along to the store. I reckon you can guess the rest. Debenhams had made no such call, the call had come from the thieves. When she arrived home, she found it had been ransacked. Of course her bag had contained her house keys, address, phone number, in fact all the personal details the thieves required. They took everything of value including passports, etc. etc.
jackie rokotnitz Wednesday 25 August 2010 1.55pm
Wow. Last time I hang my bag on the hook.
Jan the old one Wednesday 25 August 2010 7.55pm
I used to place my bag on the floor, then there was a spate of thefts by thieving b....s sliding their hands under the doors and grabbing them. I have been hanging mine on the hook behind the door...until now..thank you Chalkey, I always have a large accross the shoulder bag...I shall now sit on the lavatory like an ancient bus conductor! sorry conductress!!
Tom Pepper Wednesday 25 August 2010 9.37pm
chalkey wrote:
Just thought I'd bring to everyone's attention this latest variation on an old scam.
My daughter's friend's mother was shopping in Debenhams last week and while there she pooped to the loo. She hung her handbag on the hook and someone, who must have been watching her go in, reached over, took the bag and made of with it. By the time she'd got her act together and reported it to customer services, the bag and the thief were long gone. Later that day she received a phone call, saying, 'It's Debenhams here. we've found your bag.' Much relieved, she hurried along to the store. I reckon you can guess the rest. Debenhams had made no such call, the call had come from the thieves. When she arrived home, she found it had been ransacked. Of course her bag had contained her house keys, address, phone number, in fact all the personal details the thieves required. They took everything of value including passports, etc. etc.

A sad tale Chalkey, but pooped to the loo was a doozy of a typo!
chalkey Thursday 26 August 2010 8.34am
Well spotted, Tom. I'm always in such a hurry so never do a preview on anything I post. I've made a couple of howlers in the past, but that one was the most comically unfortunate. I cringed at first when I just re-read it, then saw the irony. (It should of course read, 'popped' to the loo.
jackie rokotnitz Thursday 26 August 2010 8.49am
AW, never mind Chalkey. I saw the mistake but was quite sure it was a typo...quite sweet really, pooped to the loo my darling as the song goes...

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions