Holidays abroad.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 26 August 2010 7.41am
We decided on a last minute family holiday this year, but couldn't find one suitable within our budget. So my wife, who was in desperate need of a break, went away to Sharm el Sheik with one of my daughters. They checked the average temperatures for that location before finally booking it and according to the website it was 33 degrees. Well, global warming must be affecting Egypt as much as anywhere, because during the last week when they've been there it's averaged 42. One day it hit 46 and even the locals were commenting on it. So, if any of you are thinking of a furure holiday to warmer climes, but don't like it too hot, then don't go by one of those 'average temperature' websites. I would check the Met Office World Chart or even the BBC. My wife now wishes she had.
Thursday 26 August 2010 10.32pm
I remember a final approach into Athens once circa '79,'80,'81 and the captain reported, "Ground temperature of 106 degrees", probably that's around 40 - 41 in the new stuff, which I still have difficulty recognising as hot, really warm, or not so bad, when it is quoted.
A bit like those US TV shows when they say, "he weighs 180", I immediately go into 14 lbs. = 1 stone mode, that's 10 stones plus 40 lbs, .......mmmm, just under 13 stones. (Hope I got that right.)
Anyway, in Athens I got off the plane, got a taxi to Glyfada, had one beer and a couple of ouzos, put my new Wayfarers on and did 15 minutes each side by the pool. Next day I looked like a panda around the eyes!
Tuesday 7 September 2010 3.49pm
back in Easter '07 we flew to Canada on Easter Monday (April 9th) - it was a warm easter over here with temperatures around 20 C, and on the aproach to Halifax, Nova Scotia the captain informed us that the temperature was -2 (yes minus two!), and that they'd had 2 feet of snow the day before, so we put most of our clothes on before leaving the airport.

12 months later we were flying back home, Hanoi, Vietnam, via Singapore to Heathrow. Temperatures out there were hovering around 30 with high humidity, and we hadn't checked the weather in England, thinking it would be reasonably warm - it wasn't. It was unseasonably cold, reaching only about 10 in the day, and was 5 C when we landed at 6am. Brrrrr!

remember to check the local weather for the destination when deciding what to wear, and what to pack in carry on.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: