Olympic public transportation suggestions

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 24 November 2010 11.12pm
On LBC 97.3 Wednesday afternoon, James Whale had a guest named Norman, (possibly Norman Baker, Lib-Dem transport spokesperson) who was outlining suggestions for easing the predicted nightmarish public transport scenarios during the 16 day Olympic Games in 2012.
These consisted of trying to persuade commuters to stagger their departure for work and leaving for home times, with the hopeful assistance of employers in allowing this, or better still, to walk, cycle, or car-pool, and in addition to do more working from home, in order to allow the predicted influx of thousands of visitors the use the buses and trains left half empty by our graciousness in complying with these suggestions.
I listened with growing incredulity, thinking, "You couldn't make this up."
This guy was seriously suggesting that thousands of Londoners turn their working lives upside down, and be happy to do so, because, and I quote, perhaps not verbatim, "The eyes of the world will be upon us during this marvellous spectacle of sport, and it will be London's chance to shine by doing what they can to help the visitors move freely around the city"
Well I'll be doing my bit Norman, I'll be as far from London as I can afford to go, enjoying a hopefully half empty Vancouver, Paris, Atlanta, or Montreal while the population of whichever city I go to will be using my seat on the Jubilee Line.
Thursday 25 November 2010 7.40am
Did you mean standing where you usually stand on the Jubilee Line?
Seriously, I caught snatches of that radio programme too.
I was thinking, if they can pull this off the next step could be the erection of a tent city in London's parks, which we will all be herded into to make room for all the people badly in need of a life who will apparently descend on Westminster waving their little Union Jacks at the Royal wedding.
Thursday 25 November 2010 2.27pm
A union twixt a young couple is a good thing Tom and is to be celebrated, but by their families and friends!

Can't quite get my head around the Royal Couple bit though and wish them all the best.. but will be giving my Union Jack flag to the nearest tourist Who has travelled to London to see them!
Friday 26 November 2010 3.39pm
Debrajoan wrote:
This guy was seriously suggesting that thousands of Londoners turn their working lives upside down, and be happy to do so, because, and I quote, perhaps not verbatim, "The eyes of the world will be upon us during this marvellous spectacle of sport, and it will be London's chance to shine by doing what they can to help the visitors move freely around the city"

Interesting. I'd like it to be the Govt's chance to show that they can give London a decent public transport system. Now that WOULD be a worthwhile legacy of holding the Olympics.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 2 December 2010 9.15am
This means offices have to be shut down for the games for the celebrations orelse work from is the best alternative.

buy china wholesale

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: