petrol and diesel prices

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 1 January 2011 6.21pm
Many moons ago I worked as a costings clerk in a small company...the Boss was worried about the increase in prices of fuel....possibly 1969/71...the petrol was 6/6 per gallon and diesel was 4/4 per.gall. for the youngsters thats 32 new p. approx and 21 new p.approximately..

So at todays prices how much would that translate to in litres and accounting for inflation? ( I know there are loads of clever bods here who are just dying to satisfy the curiosity of an old biddy!)lol
Sunday 2 January 2011 11.34am
Well, Jan. If my very rough and amateurish calculations are correct, then the answer has surprised me. I'm sure there's a more accurate and less cack-handed way of doing this, but I've worked out that a gallon of petrol in 1969/70, based on your figures, was aprox. 1/60th of my weekly wage at that time. The average petrol price which, after the increases in this coming week will be around 1.29 per litre, (roughly 5.85 per gallon,) would represent 1/76th of today's average weekly wage of 450. So, thinking in straight, black and white lines, we were actually worse off at the pumps forty years ago than we are now.
I stand to be corrected.
Sunday 2 January 2011 12.01pm
I've had another little doodle. (They can't touch you for it.)
Working on the assumption that my first house bought in 1969 was an average price, then the cost of it, (5,700,) could have bought me 17,538 gallons of petrol back then. Whereas, today's average house price, (163,000) could be converted in to 27,860 gallons at current petrol prices.
As Rob Brydon would say, "Just a bit of fun."
Sunday 2 January 2011 9.08pm
Wow Chalkey, I am amazed! I thought my ramblings would produce figures that would show we are being ripped off!...speaking of cost whilst at school one of our teachers told us that rent or mortgage should be 7% of ones income.....
I was trying to remember the price of a tiny two rooms in guinness buildings in 1963...19 shillings and ninepence...Freds income I think was about Eleven pounds, must have been rolling in it! :-)
Tuesday 8 February 2011 10.37pm
Hi Jan ,I have not long joined this site and I have read nearly all of your postings,you made me laugh so much about the window and hearing what the kids had to say.I was born in Peabody Buildings Roupell street se1 in 1938 and lived there untill 1956 so no you are not the only one who remembers.Again lovely to meet you online margaret
Wednesday 9 February 2011 2.12pm
Oh Thank you Margaret...:-) thats why I love this site it enables me to ramble on and no one can tell me to shut up!! Plus I think how life and people used to be should never be forgotten, because unless you know the past of peoples lives you can't understand them...

Do you still live in London?
Monday 7 March 2011 6.45pm
Driving home on the M1 yesterday, just south of Milton-Keynes, I passed a petrol station displaying regular unleaded at 141.9 per litre. Is this the current record?
Monday 7 March 2011 7.54pm
It is cheaper in Milton Keynes than it is here in Bedfordshire Chalkey,In Beds it is about 1,35 in MK it is roughly 1.33 so not much in the difference.We are moving back to Milton Keynes on 21March.Keep on rambling Jan you and Chalkey bring back great memorys.Do you both still live in London ?.All our family live in MK now.Sadly we lost our son to cancer last is the 1st anniversary tomorrow on the 8th that we lost him.It has as you can imagine been a dreadful year but having found this site is so great.I have been sent lovely photo's of Peabodys.It is very green now there were no trees there when we lived there.I loved the Cut .There was a coffee bar down there more like an american milk shake bar and we used to sit in there for hours planning what we were going to wear to go to Ronnie Scott's jazz club Saturday nights.or the Lyceum or Lorcarno.Locarno in Streatham was here I met my husband Dave and we had our 50th in January.Blimey you get less for murder :))
Monday 7 March 2011 8.50pm
So sorry about the loss of your son. When we bring children in to the world the last thing we want, or expect, is for them to predecease us.
I moved out of London in 1969, having lived in a prefab just off the Old Kent Road.
A tad surprising there are so few old reminiscers on this site, I'd hate to think we're hogging it.
SE1 is a trendy place to be these days. All the old SE1-ers, (SE17 in my case, but only marginally,) of a certain age, who were fortunate enough to be able to buy our own houses forty or so years ago, burnt our bridges. We couldn't get away quick enough, but now we can't afford to move back.
I only discovered this site by accident. There must be hundreds like me out there who've not been so lucky.
I guess that explains it.
As for Jan and I and our ramblings, I know I'm still up for it and I hope you are too, Jan.
Monday 14 March 2011 2.51pm
Bless you both,we did a lot of laughing and sometimes crying.I remember getting a whack around the earole from our local bobby and then getting a slight tap from my mum and a telling off from dad for being cheeky.Also I remember getting fed up with 1 of our neighbours who everytime I crossed the square to go out collared me to get something from the shops for her ,how unkind we are sometimes when we are young,mind you I always got whaever she wanted from the shops.My parents were very strict about being nice to other people bless them.Like you Chalkey I came across this site by accident,and to be hones I still am not to sure which page I am supposed to be on.I am following the link on the email I was sent .Here's hoping to hear from you both again.Chalkey I know now I wouldn't like to live in London.My old London has gone sadly.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: