Charity clothes collections.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 19 January 2011 11.45am
Not for the first time I responded to a plastic bag being put through my letter box by a charity asking for unwanted clothes. Also, not for the first time, the bag has sat on my doorstep for three days past its collection date and I've ended up taking it to the clothes bank. This latest one was from the Salvation Army and it had a phone number on the bag. (0845, naturally.) I rang the number and was, as per usual, presented with a list of menus. I pressed the appropriate one for non-collection, naively expecting to hear a live voice, but a recorded message began asking me all my details. On my particular phone deal I get free calls to 01 and 02 numbers, but I get caned for 0845's and the like. So I hung up.
How do these things work? Do these charities deliver these bags and collect them themselves, or is it done by volunteers, or what? Last night I noticed two more of the same bags on local doorsteps, so it isn't just a case of my one being accidentally missed. I would like to hear from anyone who knows about these collections and how they work.
Saturday 29 January 2011 2.46pm
If you want to donate old or unwanted clothes you could contact the Manna Society near Guys hospital. The Manna Day Centre contact number is:020 7357 9363. it is just off St Thomas Street. They really do need clothes for the homeless so I know they'll very grateful.

Sunday 30 January 2011 8.45am
They are a really worthwhile Charity Chalkey ( tongue twister that!) I think any church/school having a jumble sale should contact them and let them have any left over adult clothing.
Sunday 30 January 2011 12.09pm
Thanks, Sophia and Jan. Unfortunately Guy's is a bit of a hike for me from Westcliff. I hope the clothes banks put them to good use. There was some good and useable items in my bundle, so I hope they will do someone a good turn. Like every high street ours has its share of charity shops. Unfortunately you can't park anywhere near them.
Tuesday 1 February 2011 3.08pm
The Salvation Army (and probably other charities)contract out clothes collection to private companies, many of which make a profit from the charitable donations
Wednesday 16 February 2011 1.00pm
You are welcome Chalkey.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: