Coffee, anyone?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 20 January 2011 9.58am
I heard on the news this morning that in fourteen states, (so far,) accross America, 'Starbucks ' have introduced a new cup size for their coffee. It's called the 'Trenta' and it holds 31 fluid ounces. If my reckoning is correct, this is a fraction over a pint and a half. The capacity of an adult human stomach is, on average, two pints. Not much room left for anything else then, unless you want to gorge yourself. This is not intended as an easy swipe at our American cousins, but unfortunately what goes on over there has a habit of being repeated over here. I often wish we would choose a better role model. When we are constantly being advised to eat and drink sensibly, our friends accross the pond with their 'Supersize' this and 'Supersize' that, seem happy to continue proving that they can out-glutton anybody.
Thursday 20 January 2011 11.25am
No one's forcing anyone to go into those shops, let alone buy a bucket of carp coffee.

If people want to do it, I suppose it's up to them.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 20 January 2011 1.16pm
Can't argue with that, Ivanhoe. If people want to jump off Tower Bridge it's 'up to them.' A few of those cups of coffee and the end result will be the same anyway.
Thursday 20 January 2011 2.02pm
I don't understand how a pint and a half of coffee fits in a "cup".

Anyway, looks like you won't have to put up with it chalkey - see here.
Thursday 20 January 2011 2.29pm
I just don't get the whole idea. I suspect the well-paid guys who come up with them do so with their tongues firmly in their cheeks. A pint and a half of coffee? What's next? A 'yard' of the stuff? That'd be fun to watch!
Thursday 20 January 2011 2.39pm
Boss St Bloke wrote:
I don't understand how a pint and a half of coffee fits in a "cup".

Haven't you seen those rides at Disneyland?

Friday 21 January 2011 9.05am
chalkey wrote:
What's next? A 'yard' of the stuff? That'd be fun to watch!

Not much different to the British Yard of Ale.....
Friday 21 January 2011 10.18am
I have heard through a totally unreliable source,
that londoners are increasingly turning to espresso as their way of the morning coffe fix and that the longer drinks such as latte are becoming more of an leisurly afternoon drink.

whereas our good friends in the USA havent picked up on Euroculture styles of coffee drinking they still like it long and watery at any time of the day.

My Source? well she works in the retail coffee industry and is a avid fruit tea drinker.

cheers
Friday 21 January 2011 2.40pm
Indeed, Tattie. Just my point. And I bet there's plenty out there who'd try it.
Friday 21 January 2011 3.48pm
Tattie wrote:
chalkey wrote:
What's next? A 'yard' of the stuff? That'd be fun to watch!

Not much different to the British Yard of Ale.....

Hey! Come on!! At least a yard of ale tastes nice. Beer over coffee, any day.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: