Are you a hoarder?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 6 February 2011 9.01pm
I was just rearranging the dust and trying to decide what to chuck out. Amazing how rubbish expands to fill the space provided. Boxes of programmes, ticket stubs, unwanted and unopened prizes from a comping phase and stuff you hate to part with but which will never get used again. But once you grasp the nettle and fill a dozen black bags it's bloomin' brilliant.
A few tickets etc; from the 90's - doesn't time fly!

Monday 7 February 2011 9.23am
Been doing just the same thing this last few days. The medicine chest was FULL of medicines from 1965....
Monday 7 February 2011 11.22am
Were there a few 'purple hearts' among them, Jackie?
Monday 7 February 2011 2.49pm
Just a little bit. I've got about three bookcases of books which I haven't read or referenced for about 10 years which I've just unpacked from boxes. Would love to get them to a charity shop but it's a long long walk with far too many!
Monday 7 February 2011 7.08pm
No, but my wife is.
I had found some photos of my first wedding; apart from my hair being dark brown then, but varying shades of grey now, I've still got it all, plus all my own teeth, except for one implant.
I put the photos in the wheelie bin, but she "rescued" them, saying, "I occasionally want to check what you looked like you when you weren't bad looking, and were able to talk that nice young girl into marrying you!"
Monday 7 February 2011 10.31pm
Thats my problem too Tom, No way can I throw a photograph away, especially of the family and as I was the one taking them there are not many of me looking either young or slim!
Tuesday 8 February 2011 9.39am
I am a hoarder, especially with half-used tins of paint and bits of wood that will one day, 'come in handy for something.' A few years ago my wife had just about enough of it and insisted I clear out the shed and garage and make space for essential items. I of course obeyed. A week later I found a job for some of the bits of wood I'd thrown away and had to buy some more. I now have my own way about bits of wood, but no longer keep old tins of paint, which would probably be unfit for purpose after a year or two anyway.
I never throw away old photos. They're part of the family history.
Tuesday 8 February 2011 10.52am
I read somewhere chalkey that you should store paint tins upside down so the skin is on the bottom when you open them months later. I always fill a couple of small pots from the tin after a job to touch up scuff marks. There's nothing quite as satisfying as a bit of DIY
Tuesday 8 February 2011 1.08pm
Good tips, Phoney. Cheers for that.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: