candles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 9 February 2011 6.46pm
Among our Xmas prezzies last year, (seems funny saying 'last year', when it only about seven weeks ago,) was a very posh scented candle with three wicks, set inside an atractive circular dish. It's now finished, but only about a third of the wax has disappeared. It's burned down to the bottom and there is an inch of unused wax all around the perimeter. Seems a shame to waste it. Being an old Scrooge, I've put a couple of tea lights in there in the hope that we get some residual aroma from the wax surrounding them, but it doesn't work.
Any tips?
Wednesday 9 February 2011 8.57pm
Melt 'em down and remake them...

Click me
Thursday 10 February 2011 8.07am
Yup, thought of that one, BSB, but what do I do for a wick? Chopping up tea lights wouldn't work, coz their wicks are not long enough and I assume you cant just use a piece of thin string. I suspect that candle wicks are made of some special material for slow burning. I can't find any craft shops that cater for home made candle making either.
Thursday 10 February 2011 8.45am
Thursday 10 February 2011 10.14am
Loved the link to Fun2make on that site grangeousier..:-)
Thursday 10 February 2011 10.20am
You don't need to melt your wax, Chalkey. Grate it into a jar. A jam jar is fine if you don't need it to look too pretty. Put a couple of inches in and make a hole for the wick then press it down so it holds the wick in place while you put the rest in. This will sound obvious but keep the wick vertical (don't rest it against the rim of the jar). Compact the wax as you go. It doesn't need to be very tight. You won't lose any scent this way.
Friday 11 February 2011 12.22pm
and I believe normal string will be fine for a wick.
it burns slowly, because it's not the string burning but the melted wax that actually burns - you might have to soak the string in molten wax first though, else the string will burn through, without melting any wax, and it won't work.
you can attache the string to the bottom of the jar (with superglue?) then wrap the other end around a pencil that rests across the top of the opening - keeps the wick straight, and tight as you pack in the wax.
also you could try using an empty toilet roll, a flat piece of cardboard across the bottom with a small hole in for the wick, when it's finished/set you can remove the cardboard, and trim the wick top and bottom.

[Caveat] - I've always wanted to try this, but have never actually got round to it, so don't know how effective any of these options are.
Saturday 12 February 2011 10.50am
Thanks, guys and gals. I'll let you know how I get on.
Thursday 24 March 2011 5.25am
Players experience bruising speak to, long habits in warm weather and loads of unusual puts strain on and strains on the muscles, ligaments plus tendons. It is far from possible in order to avoid injuries while in the game about football and for that reason many dads and moms are hesitant enabling their young children to engage. They all choose to wear nfl jersey china in games. But danger of injury might be minimized using cooperation around parents, medical practitioners and motor coach buses.
Thursday 24 March 2011 7.04am
qq1044861855 wrote:
Players experience bruising speak to, long habits in warm weather and loads of unusual puts strain on and strains on the muscles, ligaments plus tendons. It is far from possible in order to avoid injuries while in the game about football and for that reason many dads and moms are hesitant enabling their young children to engage. They all choose to wear nfl jersey china in games. But danger of injury might be minimized using cooperation around parents, medical practitioners and motor coach buses.

????????????? O.K. I give up, did I miss a meeting?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: