Funny old world.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 25 March 2011 5.59pm
I was approaching a set of traffic lights on red this morning and the car in front in the next lane had a sticker in the rear window stating, 'Baby on board.' I'm sure we're all familiar with these stickers, in fact, my daughter has one. They're basically saying, 'Please drive in way so as not to endanger the life of my child.' Quite right too.
As I pulled alongside, there was the baby in the back in a sturdy looking child seat. But, the windows were all closed and the mother was puffing away on a cigarette. That whole scenario was saying to me, 'Don't you put my childs life in danger, that's my job.'
Funny old world.
Sunday 27 March 2011 11.04am
Very true Chalkey, and read an article the other day presumably from an ambulance driver stating that if no child/baby is in the car, to remove the sticker as heaven forbid should an accident occur, emergency services dont waste time searching for a child instead concentrating on other victims in the car.
Sunday 27 March 2011 5.06pm
(quote chalkey) a sticker in the rear window stating, 'Baby on board.' I'm sure we're all familiar with these stickers, in fact, my daughter has one. They're basically saying, 'Please drive in way so as not to endanger the life of my child.'[/quote]

Really? That's what it means? There was I thinking that sticker meant, I'm virile/fertile/fecund, take your pick.
Sunday 27 March 2011 6.27pm
I thought fecund came between first and fird.
Sunday 27 March 2011 6.33pm
Right what you say, Jan, and it reminds me of a very tragic story.
Do you or anybody else remember a brilliant ventriloquist back in the early 1960's called Dennis Spicer? He was driving home from the Royal Variety Performance having wowed the audience and the Royal party. The world was about to become his oyster. Unfortunately his car skidded off the road at Wittering on the A1, right outside the RAF base. When the emergency services arrived they saw a small figure trapped in the back of the car and spent valuable time trying to free what they assumed was a child. By the time they realised it was the vent's dummy, valuable minutes had been lost and Dennis Spicer died of his injuries.
Monday 28 March 2011 3.28pm
After you and Tom having me in fits of laughter Chalkey, read down about Denis Spicer...did that really happen? and if it did how terribly tragic..:-(
Monday 28 March 2011 6.34pm
Just Googled it to check my facts, Jan. It was a long time ago.
I was wrong in that he wasn't actually on his was home from the Royal Variety Performance when the accident happened. That took place on the 2nd of November that year, (1964.) He actually died in the car crash 13 days later on the 15th of November. As I say, it was a long time ago and the two things merged in my mind having been so close together. The rest,sadly, is correct. He was 28 years old. If you can find some old footage, (YouTube maybe?) it's worth watching. He was brilliant. I'll take a look myself, just to remind me how good he was.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: