Good bike rides around London

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Zoe
Sunday 10 April 2011 9.51am
Myself and some friends are planning a bike weekend. I was thinking the taff trail, Cardiff to Brecon, but I have started to think it's too hilly for people who don't cycle very often.

Has anyone got any good suggestions for rides that are accesable from London?

I was thinking New Forest to Isle of Wight (I was thinking of circling the Isle of Wight, but apparently it's hilly, though surely not a Brecon Becon level of hillyness).

I'm looking for about 50-60 miles, over 2 days, so it's very leisurely, any ideas?
Sunday 10 April 2011 1.00pm
If you want to start your ride from London, my son and daughters and partners have cycled from London to Brighton via I believe a disused railway line for part of the way, it must be about the range that you mention.
They have also cycled from London to Ashford in Kent a bit hilly here and there, along the A20.
That would be in the same range of about 60 miles too.
They did it in a day each time, but I am sure you would appreciate the countryside more if you took two days. From Ashford, you can go onto Canterbury or Folkestone and Dover. All served by the High speed Train to St Pancras.
Sunday 10 April 2011 1.11pm
The Sustrans Thames Valley cycle route is worth looking at - it doesn't entirely coincide with the Thames Path for walkers, and includes some beautiful sections through Richmond Park and Windsor Great Park.

I've also taken groups on the Downs and Weald Cycle Route (National Route 21) from Greenwich to Eastbourne via Gatwick.

It's a bit hilly around the North Downs, though.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Zoe
Sunday 10 April 2011 1.47pm
Hi you two, thanks for the advice.

I'm a bit worried about cycling on the road with people who don't usually cycle in London, but I'd love to cycle to Brighton, I shall have to find a cycle buddy who doesn't want to cycle very fast and will stop regulary for me to drink tea.

The Thames Cycle path sounds very flat, I think that's a really good idea. We could take the train to Richmond and start from there, which cuts the London cycling bit. If that works and they can cope with the bottom pain of two days cycling then we could try Greenwich to the coast (I'm always happy to cheat and walk up hills).
Sunday 10 April 2011 9.40pm
When I've taken groups of children on the Thames Valley route we've started at Putney to avoid the difficult bits in central London.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: