Rain.

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 17 April 2011 5.58pm
I'm very tempted to strip down to my baggy y-fronts and run around the garden doing a self-choreographed rain dance. It won't be a pretty sight, but it might be neccessary. It's like the end of October out there at the moment, with leaves falling all over the gaff.
We need some rain, and lots of it.
I was listening to the BBC Home Service, (sorry, Radio4,) the other day, and they were saying there's no need to worry, these things are cyclical and the last time we had a serious drought was 1976. I remember it well. Stand pipes in the streets and all that. But that was in July. We're only in April, but this expert was saying that if we have no significant rainfall in the south-east within the next two weeks, there is a possibility that hose pipe bans will be introduced.
Lincolnshire has had the driest March in sixty years apparently, so keep an eye on the price of spuds, dear friends.
Sunday 17 April 2011 8.13pm
Chalkey ,since when did you listen to these forecasters.My old dad had a window box of tomatoes on our windowsill in the buildings and every year we were giving them away we had so many.Then when I got a garden I listened and bought all sorts of garden books and then went back to things the old uns had told me and rain or not I always had a lovely garden .Sometimes the old ways are the best but I won't say on here what dad used for manure lol :))
Monday 18 April 2011 7.25am
When my old gran and her cronies had their annual beanos to Southend, they allways came back with a clump of seaweed each, which they'd hang outside their back doors as a weather guage. I think there was an old music hall song about it. 'As soon as I touched me seaweed I knew it was gonna be dry,' etc.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: