ken clarke

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 19 May 2011 10.08am
What do other forum users thin k about his comments about some rape being 'trivial'?

Lets see how he would feel having something penetrating his body that he did not agree to! some justice minister we have...sack him.
Thursday 19 May 2011 11.26am
I don't think he did say rape is trivial. The point he was making is that the law allows a judge, when sentencing,to reflect circumstances which add to the awfulness of an individual crime - gang rape, for example.
Thursday 19 May 2011 12.15pm
it was when he said that rape was only really a focus for people because it was "sexy" taht I wanted to crawl through the tv and strangle him. SACK HIM NOW
Thursday 19 May 2011 1.48pm
For many years, some women's organisations have urged that rape should be viewed as a form of violence, and that its sexual element should be set aside when considering it as a crime.

I think that's a hard ask for society as a whole. But in my opinion it's a good way for politicians - when addressing changes in the law - to speak about it in public.
Thursday 19 May 2011 2.50pm
What would be the commonly used word that would replace the obviously impolitic 'serious' when talking about the gradation of punishment across rape cases? As in 'offender A was sentenced to 20 years in jail because is crime was judged more xxxxxx than offender b's'. Or do Jan and Julia feel the argument is redundant since all convicted rapists should be given the same sentence regardless of any related circumstances?

And he didn't say rape was only a focus for people because it was sexy. He said it was singled out 'to add a bit of sexual excitement to the headlines.'. The target being news editors, although this particular argument is still specious. The real reason the editors rounded on him is because they could scent his blood.

You could always consider the reason he was being interviewed in the first place, as Clare McGlynn in the Tory loving Guardian has here http://bit.ly/m5sya3

But no, don't bother. Just chuck him out. And see what brand of hang' em high idiot replaces him.
Thursday 19 May 2011 3.37pm
Interesting to see the newspapers - it's The Sun that has "he must go" on the front page. Someone at News International must have it in for him.
Thursday 19 May 2011 6.25pm
I understand he suggested that there is rape and then again there is rape. When is rape not rape?
Friday 20 May 2011 8.03am
I received a text yesterday that said;
Dominique Strauss-Khan was relieved to learn that Ken Clarke has agreed to defend him in his upcoming trial.
Friday 20 May 2011 8.35am
Jan, I think someone has already penetrated Ken Clarke's body.....Jabba the Hutt......and he's still in there!
Saturday 21 May 2011 9.35pm
Rape is rape no matter what fancy name you want to call it.The B******s that perpitrate this crime wnant to ask themselves what if it was their son or daughter.A lot of these people live behind armed gates ,not only in reality but also in their own minds.;They think they are above the law ,and they are ,because a lot of theire mob make it so. At least in the the days of the Krays you knew who the enemy was and believe me I know having mixed with a lot of the crowd ,not knowing any better now you are not sure who the enemy are,Jan keep on trucking babe as you are a real voice of reason.But did you contact what I said in my last letter to you.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: