What's in a name?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 20 May 2011 5.39pm
My niece, who is a barrister, (might come in handy one day, but let's hope not,)is getting married later this year. Her married name will become law......Seriously. She will be Mrs.Law. I wondered if anyone else has a friend or relatives with a surname applicable to their profession. One of my daughters had an RE teacher called Mr. J.C.Cross.
Friday 20 May 2011 11.38pm
How about this one Chalkey?

http://rictornorton.co.uk/church.htm
Saturday 21 May 2011 8.18am
My favourites Chalkey are Steel and Smash solicitors down the Cut sorry lower marsh! and D.Swaddling who used to sell nursey equipment at Catford...
Saturday 21 May 2011 1.06pm
Aside from the shoe store in Kings Road, Chelsea; "R.Soles", there was member of the North Carolina Senate until recently whose name was Roy Soles.
So the Tarheels can say with all honesty that they had an ar*ehole, or to them, as*hole as a senator.
Tuesday 24 May 2011 11.55am
We had a woodwork teacher at school, predictably called Mr Wood. Hilarious for a class of 11 year olds...
Tuesday 24 May 2011 12.22pm
We had a woodwork teacher called Mr Wood, too. He was introduced to us on our tour of the school at the end of Primary School and promptly caught fire.

(This is actually true.)
ADT
Tuesday 31 May 2011 1.06pm
At secondary school I had an English teacher by the name of Miss England. Also, the current lord chief justice is called Judge.

The feedback pages of New Scientist had a whole series on this phenomenon and even coined a name for it - nominative determinism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nominative_determinism
Saturday 4 June 2011 6.19am
The producer of this morning's 'Farming today' programme was....wait for it.... Anne-Marie Bullock.
Couldn't make it up.
Saturday 4 June 2011 8.29am
chalkey wrote:
The producer of this morning's 'Farming today' programme was....wait for it.... Anne-Marie Bullock.
Couldn't make it up.

I appreciate that you live waaaaaayyy out in the boonies Chalkey, in deepest darkest Essex, but Farming Today? Farming ****ing Today? Oh! God! Where did it all go wrong?
I suggest that we have a whip-round to finance Chalkey's return to civilisation.
I'd go down and liaise with him, but my passport has expired.
Saturday 4 June 2011 11.44am
Ha ha, nice one, Tom.
I woke up earlier than usual for a Saturday, perhaps due to the exitement of it being Derby Day. Still had a looooong two hours to wait for my 'Racing Post' to arrive, so I flicked on the radio which, I admit, is permanently tuned to Radio-4. I forgot the 'Today' programme starts an hour later on Saturday's, and as I simply couldn't be bothered to fiddle with the tuning, I just laid there and listened to 'Farming today.' It's opened up a whole new vista. I Didn't realise hill farming could be so interesting. Then came 'Ramblings' with Claire Balding. Immense!
I was by now well and truly under the influence of early Saturday morning radio and wondered if the exitement would ever end. But end it did, with the dulcet tones of John Humphries bringing me back down to Earth.
I hope you all pick the winner of the big race today and I hope it's 'Hats off to Her majesty' with 'Carlton House.'
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: