What's in a name?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3
Tom Pepper Saturday 4 June 2011 1.29pm
Glad that you appreciated the humour Chalkey.
I'm no punter but I just returned from getting a haircut and my father-in-law was at my place watching the racing from Musselburgh, while my mother-in-law and her daughter, who is better known as the enemy indoors, were at the hairdressers.
There was a horse running named Barnet Fair.
I said to my F-I-L, "I should have backed that, having just been to the barber."
Stone me if it didn't romp home at 7-2!
chalkey Saturday 4 June 2011 3.55pm
Always follow your instinct with the nags, Tom.
I remember many years ago reading the racing page on Friday the thirteenth. There was a horse running called 'Birthday Blues.' (Thirteen letters in the name,) and it was my Dad's birthday. It was number thirteen on the racecard and it was in the one o'clock race. (Thirteen hundred hours.) What's more, there were thirteen runners in the race.
I a fiver on it, a lot of money to me back then.
mon2 Saturday 4 June 2011 6.57pm
I've recently heard of a Dr Robert Mordecai, a dentist at Guys and Kings College.
Tom Pepper Sunday 5 June 2011 12.44am
chalkey wrote:
Always follow your instinct with the nags, Tom.
I remember many years ago reading the racing page on Friday the thirteenth. There was a horse running called 'Birthday Blues.' (Thirteen letters in the name,) and it was my Dad's birthday. It was number thirteen on the racecard and it was in the one o'clock race. (Thirteen hundred hours.) What's more, there were thirteen runners in the race.
I a fiver on it, a lot of money to me back then.

You didn't finish the story Chalkey, promise me that it didn't trail in thirteenth?
chalkey Sunday 5 June 2011 5.14am
You've guessed it, Tom.
The oldest joke in the book, but I couldn't resist it.
jackie rokotnitz Sunday 5 June 2011 7.22am
Um, why is Dr. Robert Mordechai a strange or funny name?
Debrajoan Sunday 5 June 2011 9.17am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Um, why is Dr. Robert Mordechai a strange or funny name?

Er, I assume that you are kidding Jackie, (if I may call you Jackie).
DENTIST - Mordechai - MORE DECAY?
Debrajoan Sunday 5 June 2011 9.25am
chalkey wrote:
Then came 'Ramblings' with Claire Balding.

Wouldn't it be strange if Wayne Rooney started a liaison with Claire Balding?
Yes, I know, I know, but it was just a thought.
jackie rokotnitz Sunday 5 June 2011 1.46pm
Ah...but you see Mordechai is pronounced Moordicheye ie. the sound at the end is like eye and not like hay, hence my lack of understanding.
Tom Pepper Sunday 5 June 2011 3.27pm
Sounds reasonable to me Ms. Rokotnitz.
Personally I would pronounce it exactly how you said, but I can see where d.j was coming from, and that is what I understood her post to mean.
Moredechai to More decay.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 Next
Current: 2 of 3

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions