Surely Not?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 19 June 2011 7.51pm
My initial thought on reading this was that it was probably total bulls**t, but if it is even remotely true it goes to show that not all the nut-jobs in the Middle East are muslim.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-13819764
Monday 20 June 2011 8.12am
Oh dear me no...as a nice Israeli girl I can assure you that the extremist religious lot are a bunch of total nutters..utterly terrifying. They should be sent back to the Middle Ages where they belong.Nothing to do with ME or any of my friends and family I assure you!
Tuesday 21 June 2011 9.02pm

Update 20 June 2011: This report was based on sources usually regarded by the BBC as reliable. In the light of categorical denials by rabbinical court officials, an update to this report has been published.

The story has been updated HERE and may not be true.

BBC getting sloppy reporting stories without checking
Wednesday 22 June 2011 9.08am
This smacks a bit of the monkey they hanged in Hartlepool during the Napoleonic wars because they thought it was a French spy.
Wednesday 22 June 2011 10.14am
Reporters are faced with the daily choice of painstakingly researching stories or writing whatever people tell them. Both approaches pay the same.
Scott Adams

These are True Stories
"A man who becomes upset when he hears certain words was sentenced to six years in prison for shooting his girlfriend because he thought she was about to say 'New Jersey'."
Associated Press

"More than 600 people were injured in this year's Stone-Throwing festival in central India. The ritual, in which residents of two villages form groups on either side of the river Jaam and hurl stones at each other, is held every year. Last year only 250 were injured."
Reuters
Wednesday 22 June 2011 11.59pm
phoney wrote:
"A man who becomes upset when he hears certain words was sentenced to six years in prison for shooting his girlfriend because he thought she was about to say 'New Jersey'."
Associated Press

This story evoked a memory from the mid seventies.
I was on vacation just outside Athens with my then girl-friend, (I was between marriages at the time.)
My innamorata had met and befriended a New York girl who was staying alone at our hotel.
The three of us met for breakfast one morning on the hotel patio when an American couple who had arrived that morning overheard our friend's accent and introduced themselves, saying, "Hi,we're from North Bergen, New Jersey." The New Yorker came back with, "I wondered what the smell was!"
Talk about your local rivalries.
Despite dropping her guard there for a minute, she was a nice girl really, and we stayed in touch ever since, proof positive that there is such a thing as a platonic relationship, I visited her frequently in the U.S. and in Paris and Toulouse where she studied psychiatry, and she came to London whenever she could, and when I finally capitulated and re-married in Tampa, Fl. in 1994, she flew down from New York to be my best man.
Friday 24 June 2011 5.45pm
Tom Pepper wrote:

I visited her frequently in the U.S. and in Paris and Toulouse where she studied psychiatry, and she came to London whenever she could, and when I finally capitulated and re-married in Tampa, Fl. in 1994, she flew down from New York to be my best man.

Interesting Mr. P., if a tad off subject.
I imagine the usual dullard suspects will be muttering about the price of taxi fares when they read of your whizzing back and forth across the Atlantic and the Channel, no doubt treating your platonic gal-pal to exotic French 5 star dining.
Saturday 25 June 2011 9.19am
I'm just green with envy Tom, you little jet setter you!
Saturday 25 June 2011 10.43am
Debrajoan wrote:
Tom Pepper wrote:

I visited her frequently in the U.S. and in Paris and Toulouse where she studied psychiatry, and she came to London whenever she could, and when I finally capitulated and re-married in Tampa, Fl. in 1994, she flew down from New York to be my best man.

Interesting Mr. P., if a tad off subject.
I imagine the usual dullard suspects will be muttering about the price of taxi fares when they read of your whizzing back and forth across the Atlantic and the Channel, no doubt treating your platonic gal-pal to exotic French 5 star dining.

Thanks DJ, (I think).
To quote the Catherine Tate character Lauren, "Look at my face, am I bovvered?"
(He muttered, while using a dab of 1929 Montrachet to remove boudin blanc and boullabaise stains from his Thierry Mugler tie.)
Oh and Jan, good to hear that you can appreciate a Bermondsey boy enjoying the finer things of life, thanks.
Thursday 30 June 2011 11.36am
DVLA bans 'obscene' number plate
A man from Chesterfield was ordered to remove a naughty number plate by the DVLA, even though he bought it from their website.

Alan Clarke, 49, paid 399 for the plate 'BO11 LUX' and fitted it to his new Range Rover.

His friends and family found the cheeky plate hilarious but the laughter was short-lived when, six weeks later, Clarke received a letter from the DVLA ordering him to remove it.

The organisation said the plate was "causing offence" and threatened Clarke with a fine of up to 1,000.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: