Is the ipad2 the best tablet....?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
mac
Tuesday 28 June 2011 9.56am
Hi - I wonder if I could get some advice from the SE1ers... We're thinking of buying a tablet device. I automatically thought of the ipad but some people have been telling me that other devices are as good/better and the ipad has some limitations (lack of USB port; doesn't support Flash - not sure how important that is..). Now I'm confused... I'm not at all techically savvy and only really want it for storing photos and accessing the internet (Mr Mac is also keen to read classic comicbooks, so wants good graphics). What would be the best tablet to go for?

Thanks in advance!
Friday 1 July 2011 10.36am
Yep, ipad 2 is a great package.

The HP playbook is getting good reviews. But it;s not as snappy / quick as it should be. The software on iPad is being upgraded soon, allowing it to be more 'free' of a PC / Mac. Instead, you will get updates via the web. You will also be able to print wirelessly to a suitable printer.

And, of course the iPad 3 will be 'awesome' , but that will be released just after you buy an iPad 2 and it will feature something that makes your shiny purchase feel second rate, and thou wilt gnash thy teeth and cry unto the sky above 'spare me oh Lord from the world of planned obsolescence'

(maybe that's just me)
Sunday 3 July 2011 7.45pm
Phoenix is right,it is the same with all tech stuff.Get it brand new then 6months later a newer brighter ,shinier ,all dancing,singing version will come out :)Try to get something you can add to.Personaly I love the ipad but saying that I got a new kindle then found out yesterday a newer one is coming out.It is like football kits.But if that is all you want it for get the one you like and stick with it.I do now
Tuesday 9 August 2011 4.42pm
I have an ipad2. They are pretty good, I don't have another tablet to compare it to. I have jailbroken mine which makes it a little better but most of apps you can use after jailbreaking seem to be going into ios5 which shuld be out next month.. The lack of USB port has never been a problem.
Wednesday 10 August 2011 9.55am
I dont like the dirty finger marks on the screen!lol
mac
Wednesday 10 August 2011 3.52pm
Thanks for all the replies everyone. We went for an Acer 501 in the end. It seems good though like Moriarty, I've nothing to compare it to.

Yes the screen does get pretty grimy with fingerprints, but the cloth they give to clean it is good.

I'm a bit annoyed it didn't come with a case though. All of the reviews of cases say they're rubbish but I'll have to get one otherwise I won't want to risk taking it outside!
Thursday 11 August 2011 7.28am
The Professor has our local shoemaker sew him a case for his device,..it's far cheaper than the purpose made ones and it certainly protects. All these electronic thingys are upgrading their bells and whistles all the time so that you'll feel foolish and compromised by not having the latest model...it's called MARKETING. I have stayed clear of the IPad until I've seen a few generations come and go..it's bound to get lighter, smaller and - DV - cheaper.
mac
Friday 12 August 2011 3.10pm
thanks for the tip about the case Jackie. I'll see if our local shoemender can do something....

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: