Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 30 July 2011 10.08pm
Last thursday (July 28) the back page of The Times was dominated by a photo promoting the promised land of the Olympics to come in 365 days time.

Central to this picture was a large Union Jack being flown upside down - a well known warning signal that all is not well and that there are problems around.

What was The Times warning us about? Are our athletes having difficulties? Is there going to be traffic chaos in a years time?
Sunday 31 July 2011 9.07am
The flag is known as 'The Union Flag' It is only a 'Union Jack' on a ship.
Sunday 31 July 2011 9.59am
Michael Place wrote:
Is there going to be traffic chaos in a years time?

You're kidding right?
Anyone with any sense will be as far away from London as they can get.
If they had the Olympics in my back yard, I wouldn't look out of the window, but that's just me, I'm not interested in it one iota.
Obviously some poor s.o.b's will have to stay and get to work, or get around London as best they can.
I wish them well, sincerely, but I am tossing up between visiting my son in Brisbane, Australia, or maybe schlepping over to Santiago, Chile, to check out the restaurant scene.
Sunday 31 July 2011 10.00am
Graham - many thanks for correcting me.

And the Olympic logo, of course, reads

Sunday 31 July 2011 1.35pm
I think it's a daft idea, holding the Olympics in east London. How are the athletes supposed to know which gunshot is the starting pistol?
Sunday 31 July 2011 4.45pm
chalkey wrote:
I think it's a daft idea

Not daft as suggesting there are hidden social / religious messages in basic images. That really is daft....
Monday 1 August 2011 4.46pm
as a cabbie, Tom, I thought you'd jump at the chance to fleece a shed load of foreigners of their hard earned cash. Won't there be an 'Olympic Fare' for anyone looking foreign, midly confused and wanting to go anywhere to do with the games?
Monday 1 August 2011 6.10pm
I do wish I could decide. To stay in London and watch the festivities or to flee and see it on TV? I think I'm going to ask around my chums and see who's ready to have me to stay.
Tuesday 2 August 2011 9.56am
In February 2011 the Iranian government issued a formal complaint, saying that Britain's 2012 Olympics logo spelled the word "Zion". They threatened to boycott the event if the "offensive" logo was not replaced.
Tuesday 2 August 2011 3.34pm
yeah right - it must be true if it's on Wikipedia (!!)

how many Iranian athletes are there anyway?
Would anyone notice if they boycotted the games?
would anyone care?

it's just propoganda. it doesn't say Zion. end of. move along. no story here.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: