Turkey? Holiday recommendations needed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 25 August 2011 12.53pm
Hi everyone
Can anyone recommend a small quiet beachy place for a couple of 40 somethings in Turkey for a mid-Sept holiday? Someone mentioned Kalkan but does it have a beach? All suggestions greatfully received. (Or any other place in Europe where the temperatures are still over 26/30degs in Mid Sept). Been to Crete too many times to remember and love it but need a change.

Thank you v. much
Thursday 25 August 2011 11.07pm
There may very well be somewhere that fits the bill in Turkey, but if I were you I would avoid Marmaris.
I had the misfortune to spend a week there once.
As I remember it, the weather was fine, but going out in the evening you had to run a gauntlet of importuning touts, every restaurant, bar, car-hire outfit etc. had hordes of them, aggressively plucking your sleeve and extolling the virtues of their establishment.
One evening a particularly pushy type crossed the street and took my wife's arm to try to pull her to "his" restaurant.
When I told him to leave her alone and go away, he said "F**k off, it's my country, not yours."
Friday 26 August 2011 11.14am
Thanks Mr Pepper
Oh dear - doesn't sound like the Turkey I visited (way way) back in the early 1990's - that was around Olu Deniz which was lovely but that's probably all built up now too. I had heard that both Marmaris and Bodrum were a bit clubby now (great if you're 20ish but I'm nowhere near) so they weren't on my list. I wonder if quiet coves and fishing villages exist anywhere anymore?

Any other suggestions would be most gratefully received.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: