If you allocated every person on earth a square yard...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 5 October 2011 8.37am
...how many square miles would you need to accomodate the entire world population?.
Wednesday 5 October 2011 6.51pm
Is this a trick question that i'm not seeing?

Surely its:

World population (check via wikipedia?)

---over----

(1,760)*(1,760)

?
Thursday 6 October 2011 10.08am
Funny enough Phoney I remember an episode of Startrek ( really old one...) when Capt.Kirk visited a planet and as they were in their ship, people were shoulder to shoulder moving very slowly past the window...it was explained the over population had created those conditions!

Must have impressed me as I still remember it almost 40 years later...:-)
Thursday 6 October 2011 12.10pm
Allowing the world population to be approx. seven billion and you allow each person a square yard, then the entire pop. of the world could stand in an area smaller than 60 sq. miles. It is rumoured you could stand the world pop. on the Isle of Wight?. So there is still plenty of room on the planet.

Don't recall that episode Jan but I do remember the film Soylent Green with Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson where the world was so overpopulated that people were encouraged to choose euthanasia when they could no longer stand the crowding and their bodies were turned into food called soylent green to feed everyone else. Robinson chose Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony as his last request played to a film of the world when it was green while the drugs took effect. Fantastic piece of music.
Thursday 6 October 2011 1.57pm
phoney wrote:
Allowing the world population to be approx. seven billion and you allow each person a square yard, then the entire pop. of the world could stand in an area smaller than 60 sq. miles. It is rumoured you could stand the world pop. on the Isle of Wight?. So there is still plenty of room on the planet.

Haven't got a calculator to hand but that maths doesnt seem to work to me.
Thursday 6 October 2011 2.49pm
se1lurker wrote:
Haven't got a calculator to hand but that maths doesnt seem to work to me.
I'm blushing

I heard that on Radio4 and didn't bother to check. Tried finding the program on iPlayer but can't remember the name, unless I misheard the figures
How about 2260sq miles? I'll do my homework before 'mis'quoting in future. Mind you that calculation may not be accurate either if you take my lack of edumacation into account.

1 (square mile) = 27 878 400 square feet
1 (square mile) = 3 097 600 square yards

7000 000 000
----------------- =2259.8
Tuesday 11 October 2011 10.30am
Was the program More or Less, perhaps?

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 11 October 2011 1.26pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Was the program More or Less, perhaps?

That could well be the one. As I recall it was a throwaway remark by an 'expert' to emphasise how little space humans occupy on the planet and either he got it wrong or I misheard it.

I heard this titbit correctly on the David Attenborough series Life
There are 200 million insects for each human.
Sunday 16 October 2011 9.24pm
The Isle of wight thing is an old one,I remember that being an "amazing fact"in a comic that I read around about the time Jan was watching startrek,another one was that the veins and arterys in the human body will go around the globe...twice,that's oone human being btw,I doubt the maths there adds up either!
Thursday 11 December 2014 7.27am
Any cabbage Jan, I even mixed up a few different ones to make my sauerkraut.
In fact any veg really, broccoli, asparagus, cauli',chillies, garlic, you can basically ferment everything.
I don't want to go over the top, but I read that sauerkraut is quite possibly the healthiest thing a person can eat, some of the claims I have read would seem a bit outlandish, but I'm beginning to feel the benefits myself.

Jan, I don't sit with a fork and eat out of the jar, although some do, but use it as a condiment, it's a lovely accompaniment to ham, tuna, burgers etc and the home made stuff is miles tastier than the shop bought, although I learned yesterday that you can buy unpasteurised but it's more expensive.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: