What does 'Ofcom' actually do?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 25 October 2011 8.54am
I answered the phone last evening and heard music playing and a recorded voice telling me a member of the sales team would be with me shortly. I hung up, but couldn't get rid of the call. It was a good seven or eight minutes before it finally did go away. I dialled 1471 and got the number. (0844 etc.) I Googled it and there is a catalogue of complaints about this number, many of them irate and suggesting all sufferers of this nuisance call should report it to Ofcom so that something can be done.
I spoke to Ofcom this morning and the a lady spent five minutes advising me what I could do about it, e.g. contact my phone provider and have certain calls blocked et. I asked what Ofcom were prepared to do about it in their capacity as a regulator and the short answer was, nothing. She said they 'might'get involved if there is a pattern, i.e. a number of complaints about one particular number. When I reminded her about the complaints on the website, which I'd mentioned earlier, she carried on as if she hadn't heard and simply repeated what 'I' could do about it.

"Gissajob, Guv. I can do that." (Yosser Hughes. 1982)
Tuesday 25 October 2011 11.13am
Mate - have you registered your number with TPS? - if not click here.

Also, this site is handy for checking nuisance numbers.
Tuesday 25 October 2011 2.16pm
Thanks for that, BSB. It's been very useful.
I attempted to register on line with TPS, and got a message on screen saying I was already registered. Turns out, (after speaking to them,)that my number was registered under another name,(but not the same address,) before we moved in to the area. Even so, the very helpful lady told me that it's the number that counts, and as it's registered with TPS no cold salespeople should call it. She advised me that the next time I get a nuisance call I should first obtain the name of the company and then ask them why they are calling a registered TPS number. I can then register a complaint which, she assured me, would be acted upon. She added that the TPS only works with 'live' calls, not automated ones, so it wouldn't have worked last night. It occurred to me afterwards that judging by the number of cold callers I get, there there are so many sales people out there desperate to meet targets and keep their jobs, that they are prepared to run the risk.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network