Rubbery scrambled egg from the microwave

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 6 November 2011 12.55pm
The recipe said cook on 100% power for 3 mins.
After 2 mins it looked as if it was turning rubbery so I ate it. Did use 3 eggs and even then the result wouldn't feed a sparrow. Not too bad but not the fluffy texture I wanted. What's the secret? Cook it on the hob and add more milk?

Sunday 6 November 2011 11.26pm
Hi Phoney

Might be you have a higher wattage micro than for the recipe. I do mine this way and usually comes out OK:

Whisk eggs slightly with a fork add a good splash of milk and butter/marg (I do mine by sight but quatities in your recipe look about right) I don't melt the butter so that might make the difference? Work on about a minute per egg if you have a 800 - 900w microwave. After a minute give the mixture a stir with a fork and if after two minutes it looks cooked give it another stir and leave to stand for about 30 secs (secret with microwave is the standing time as the eggs continue to cook after micro stopped) I usually use two eggs and is enough to cover two slices of toast.
Hope this helps.
L
Monday 7 November 2011 12.22pm
Cheers LelB, I'll follow your instructions next time and should get a tastier outcome.
Monday 7 November 2011 1.55pm
Cook on the hob. Throw the microwave away, unless you do a lot of baked potatoes (even then, you need to finish them in a real oven for crispy skin).

Seriously, whatever you think of microwave "ovens"; all they do to eggs is make them horrible. They don't save time, and they make a nice egg taste rubbish.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 8 November 2011 3.42pm
you need to give scrambled eggs some love. cook them slowly on the hob, a little mile and seasoning. I like to add a handful of grated strong cheese too, like pecorino or a good cheddar
Wednesday 9 November 2011 9.34am
I use the hobb, no milk, just melt butter first add s & p to eggs, splash of water whisk lightly..having said that my daughter does hers in microwave , very low heat and adds seasoning and cream! and it does taste good as well...
Wednesday 9 November 2011 9.43am
Hob, non stick frying pan, never a saucepan. Double cream and salt. Very low temp and focus!!! If you want them fluffy, use a whisk to scrape up and drop, not to whisk. Good food takes patience and love.
Wednesday 9 November 2011 11.06am
tbh, I don't think you need any patience at all to make scrambled eggs. That's the beauty of them.

Using a non-stick frying pan, my scramblers are ready in the time it takes to make the toast for them to go on.

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: