Taxi Fare Hike?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 13 November 2011 9.20pm
I am a tad surprised that no one has mentioned this alleged fare hike on here.
First off, I, as a licensed taxi driver, am a long standing LTDA member.
I have never asked for, or suggested this fare hike, and I don't know any driver who has.
In addition I have not been consulted, nor asked my opinion on this subject, by neither the LTDA, nor TFL.
I know that the LTDA and the Mayor's office have been locked in discussions on whether or not, almost certainly not, licensed taxis will be allowed to use the ORN, (Olympic Route Network.)
I would hazard a guess that Mr. Oddy, the LTDA chairman MAY, just MAY, have suggested that if we are not allowed access to the ORN, then how about a sweetener of having the meter set to Rate 3 to compensate for the additional hassle that would be involved in moving around the capital while the Games are on.
I don't want it, I know of no other cab driver who wants it, personally I feel that it would be a retrograde step.
There has been no threatened boycott by taxi drivers if they don't get a concession.
In closing I would add that with the anticipated jams that are expected to occur while the Games are on, I personally would not work even if a 50% increase to fares was granted. I am looking forward to climbing aboard a big silver bird at Heathrow and spending two or three weeks somewhere civilised like Savannah Ga. where they don't manufacture traffic.
Tuesday 15 November 2011 9.36pm
I made two trips in black cabs over the weekend, plus one Monday and one today.
On each trip I asked the relevant driver their opinion on this subject.
All four of them said that the first that they had heard about this hike was when they saw the headline on the Evening Standard, or as one called it, the sub Standard.
I would say, to a man they all said that they thought that it was a bad idea, but on the trip from Cannon Street to Bermondsey Square the driver was a woman in her early thirties, although she was of the same opinion, it won't fly.
Thursday 17 November 2011 11.40am
I think the Games could lead to a big increase in cycling and minicab use. Traffic jams combined with the Black Cabs running on a higher rate all day long might become sufficiently expensive/inconvenient that Londoners have enough incentive to find a workable alternative for short journeys.

Re an increase in cycling - I'd say this would be A Good Thing. A genuinely valuable legacy for Boris to preen over.

Re the Black Cabs asking for an Olympic Bonus - I'd say they may want to remember that this will only go further to alienate them from actual Londoners who will be here long after the Games has gone.

I take your point, Tom, that you personally don't think a rate rise is a good thing. But, since I'm assuming that the LTDA is representative of its members, I've got to assume that the majority of Black Cab drivers are in favour of it. Which I think is plain greedy.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 17 November 2011 12.21pm
I get a cab from Tesco with my shopping most Saturday's, was quiet surprised that the "minimum" fare is now 6 for a 3 minute ride. I think I will have to invest in a trolley as I think that this is a bit excessive for a short ride.

The drivers have been complaining about about insurance increases etc, but this should not affect short journey price increases?
Monday 21 November 2011 1.20am
Pops wrote:
I get a cab from Tesco with my shopping most Saturday's, was quiet surprised that the "minimum" fare is now 6 for a 3 minute ride. I think I will have to invest in a trolley as I think that this is a bit excessive for a short ride.
The drivers have been complaining about about insurance increases etc, but this should not affect short journey price increases?

I am assuming your 3 minute ride is taken in a minicab Pops, as there is no minimum fare in a licensed taxi, unless you consider the 2.20 "flagfall" at the start of the journey to be the minimum.
I would hazard a guess at a fare of between 3.60 - 4.20 for a 3 minute ride in a licensed taxi on rate 2, which applies all day Saturday, until 22.00 when rate 3 kicks in.
In addition, to my certain knowledge, there are no licensed taxi ranks at Tesco, or any other supermarket for that matter, but there are Freephone facilities linked to whichever local minicab outfit sets up the facility in order to reap the fares.
Oh, and Ivanhoe, I can certainly understand your thinking that a majority of LTDA members are gung-ho for this proposed increase, but they are not.
Dozens have resigned their membership over this matter, and there was a trade demonstration against it outside the LTDA head office in Woodfield Rd. W9 last week.
Tuesday 22 November 2011 6.35pm
Yes is the free phone number, Ruskin Private Hire. The office tell you one fare and the drivers charge what they like. Disgusting behavour though.
Thursday 24 November 2011 2.02pm
Thanks for the explanation re LTDA, Tom. Perhaps there needs to be another representative body for taxi drivers.

Saturday 26 November 2011 4.23pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
Thanks for the explanation re LTDA, Tom. Perhaps there needs to be another representative body for taxi drivers.

And thanks for your understanding Ivanhoe.
There are other trade bodies, the L.C.D.C., (London Cab Drivers Club) the U.C.G. (United Cabbies Group) and the R.M.T. have recruited a number of more militant drivers too, although coming under the auspices of Bob Crow would not appeal to me.
These newer groups have one thing in common, they are diametrically opposed to the L.T.D.A. and it's chairman Bob Oddy, seeing him and the Association as dinosaurs from the past.
It is mostly these groups with their more militant younger element who organise the drive-ins and demonstrations that we have seen in the recent past.
I never join in with these demos, but to a degree I can understand their reasoning.
The laws on touting and unlicensed drivers hassling the public outside, and more and more, inside, any venue/restaurant are largely totally ignored by the authorities.
I came out of the Blue Print Cafe recently with two of my daughters-in-law and we were touted on the stairs by a couple of guys.
The attitude of the police appears to be, "we don't care who takes the public off our patch, as long as someone does."
When this younger generation of Black Cab drivers see scoff-laws taking what is legitimately their work, and the police turn a constant blind eye to it, it is not surprising that they resent it.
Tuesday 29 November 2011 4.12pm
It's a shame that the press seems to ignore the other groups, Tom. All you ever see is LTDA.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: